History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

46, 47, 48 and 49, Salisbury Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Fonthill Bishop, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.096 / 51°5'45"N

Longitude: -2.0928 / 2°5'34"W

OS Eastings: 393596

OS Northings: 132971

OS Grid: ST935329

Mapcode National: GBR 2XZ.CNY

Mapcode Global: FRA 66H7.4H7

Entry Name: 46, 47, 48 and 49, Salisbury Road

Listing Date: 6 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183797

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320872

Location: Fonthill Bishop, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Fonthill Bishop

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Fonthill Bishop with Berwick St Leonard All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Fonthill Bishop

Listing Text

FONTHILL BISHOP SALISBURY ROAD,
ST 93 SW (south side), Bishop's Fonthill

1/85 Nos 46, 47, 48 and 49

GV II

Group of four estate cottages. 1864 for Alfred Morrison of
Fonthill Estate. Limestone ashlar, tiled roof, brick stacks.
Gable end to road. Planked door to left in 2-storey open porch on
three chamfered stone piers, 2-light and 4-light chamfered
mullioned casements, planked door in lean-to porch and 4-light
mullioned casement either side of through entry with timber lintel
on stone corbels, to right is lean-to porch with door to No 49.
First floor has 4-light mullioned casement to porch to left and 3-
light mullioned casement to right, centre cottage has attic gable
with 2-light and 3-light mullioned casement, hipped dormer with 3-
light mullioned casement over entry and 4-light mullioned casement
to cross wing to right. Left return has 4-light mullioned casement
and single casement to ground floor, recessed oval stone tablet
with date 1864 and intertwined initials AM, single casement to
first floor, 2-light to attic. Brick stacks are square or
diagonally-set on stone plinths. Rear has projecting wings with
mullioned casements, planked doors and some C20 steel casements.
Interiors have C19 joinery. Included as a good, early example of
Vernacular Revival in estate building.


Listing NGR: ST9359632971

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.