This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3827 / 51°22'57"N
Longitude: -1.6394 / 1°38'21"W
OS Eastings: 425194
OS Northings: 164913
OS Grid: SU251649
Mapcode National: GBR 5Z3.6C9
Mapcode Global: VHC1X.JHPV
Entry Name: Church of St Katherine
Listing Date: 22 August 1966
Last Amended: 30 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183857
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310796
Location: Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Great Bedwyn
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
GREAT BEDWYN -
SU 26 SE
5/72 Church of St Katherine
(formerly listed as St Katherine's
Anglican parish church for parish of Savernake, and Tottenham
estate church. 1861, by T.H.Wyatt for Mary Caroline Herbert, 2nd
Marchioness of Ailesbury. Reconstructed 1952 after explosion of
ammunition store nearby. Flint with Bath oolite banding. Tiled
roof. Florid Decorated style. Nave and north aisle, south porch
under steeple. North and south transepts and short chancel with
apse. Two-light geometric windows with foiled roundels in heads.
Three-light to west and 2-light in polygonal apse. Tower of 3
stages with gabled buttresses and quatrefoiled parapet. Limestone
broach spire with small high lucarnes. Iron balustrade to chancel
ridge. Steps to vault at east end with cast iron railings.
Interior: Nave of 5 bays, north arcade now blocked to form meeting
room. Two east bays combined into openwork geometric stone screen
to both transepts. Open timber roof with king post on collar and
cusped brackets to wall shafts and corbels. Transepts each of 1
bay, 3-light window to south, rose window and 2 low lancets to
north. Chancel raised by 3 steps, arch on elaborate vine leaf
corbels. Arcaded gallery from chancel to pulpit on north. Door to
vestry to south. Two stained glass windows to apse survive.
Marble communion rail on 2 steps. Encaustic tiles throughout.
Fittings: Lobed limestone font on 5 columns in centre of nave.
Corbelled pulpit with trefoiled arcade on marble colonnettes and
inlaid marble panels. Monuments: Nave east wall, 1892, inset wall
tablet, limestone with shallow niche containing gilded zinc figure
clasping and behind elaborate metal tree, to MARY CAROLINE HERBERT,
2nd marchioness. S. Transept, memorial to CHANDOS, 6th Marquess,
1961. Limestone and slate. Nave north wall: tall brass of 1878 to
GEORGE BRUDENELL BRUCE. (References: Pevsner, Buildings of
England, WILTSHIRE; For glass, Nightingale, J.E. WAM XIX. 26
'Painted glass at Wulfhall'.)
Listing NGR: SU2519464913
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings