This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5978 / 53°35'52"N
Longitude: -1.8357 / 1°50'8"W
OS Eastings: 410968
OS Northings: 411262
OS Grid: SE109112
Mapcode National: GBR HVMV.C0
Mapcode Global: WHCB6.ST1Q
Entry Name: Bent Ley Mill
Listing Date: 6 April 1967
Last Amended: 28 October 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183859
English Heritage Legacy ID: 340857
Location: Meltham, Kirklees, HD9
Civil Parish: Meltham
Built-Up Area: Meltham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Christ the King, Meltham
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
1106/2/21 BENT LEY ROAD
Bent Ley Mill
(Formerly listed as:
OFFICE BLOCK TO BENT LEY SILK MILL)
(Formerly listed as:
BENT LEY ROAD
BENT LEY MILL)
Silk-throwing mill (raw silk) comprising warehouse and office block, attached shed and engine house with boiler house and separate chimney. 1840 for Charles Brook Coursed gritstone and ashlar outer walls, brick vaulted front range on cast-iron beams with parallel-sided flanges, hipped slate and part-glazed roofs, cast iron roof and supports in rear shed. Original 2-storey 7-bay office and warehouse block, 2 bays deep, the central three bays break forward under a pediment with a central clock face. Right return: an upper floor taking-in door, plain stone surround, altered late C20.
Interior: the front office / warehouse range has a brick vaulted ground floor; central staircase and a stone fireplace in the SE room. Original wide arched openings into the rear shed from the 1840 office range and a narrow doorway into the shed from the central bay. First floor: S corner office with moulded ceiling cornice, 6-panel door, architraves to windows with panelled shutters, fireplace with plain stone surround and moulded shelf.
Rear shed: 6 x 10 bays. Cast iron columns have moulded caps and slots for beams and arched open-work trusses carrying the north-light roof. The outside half-width bays have simpler trusses of tie, strut and principal form. I-section beams running the full length of the shed carry rain-water gutters; inverted T-section beams with inverted fish-bellied profiles carried line shafting, each truss drilled for bracket fixings. The SE wall has 5 doorways probably serving privies before late C19 additions. An ashlar block in the NE (back) wall marks the site of the power transmission shaft from the narrow beam-engine house surviving beyond. Also attached, the boiler house, NE of engine house, with freestanding octagonal-section tapering chimney to SE, cap removed and with iron banding.
History; Charles Brook was a member of the family who built Meltham cotton mills. He developed the silk business in the 1830s and built this mill in 1840, recorded as 'Brook and Nephews, silk throwsters, Bentlee Mills'.
Reference: J.Hughes, The History of the Township of Meltham, 1866.
Listing NGR: SE1096811262
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings