This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.272 / 51°16'19"N
Longitude: -1.8011 / 1°48'4"W
OS Eastings: 413969
OS Northings: 152557
OS Grid: SU139525
Mapcode National: GBR 4YX.1HB
Mapcode Global: VHB4Y.Q9P7
Entry Name: Chisenbury Priory
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183864
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310967
Location: Enford, Wiltshire, SN9
Civil Parish: Enford
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Enford All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ENFORD EAST CHISENBURY
SU 15 SW (east side)
5/15 Chisenbury Priory
Large house in own grounds. Later C17 with front of mid C18, (date
1767 and initials of Williams Grove on rainwater heads). Rendered
flint and flint laced clunch. Facade of brick with limestone
raised quoins. Tile and lead roofs. C17 building of 'U'-plan, 2
storeys and attics, but east wing, called the Justice Room, may be
an addition of slightly later date. Central block now with
central through passage. Stone-mullioned and transomed windows.
Justice room has fine doorcase with pediment and consoles on to the
small courtyard, late C17-early C18, with added suspended bell.
West wing restored in 1886, including renewal of main first floor
window. New facade added in C18, and service wing west of the west
wing. Facade is of 5 bays, symmetrical, with central pedimented
doorcase and 6-panelled door. Ground floor windows 12-pane sashes
in stone architraves with alternating segmental and triangular
pediments and pulvinating frieze. Twelve-pane sashes also to upper
windows and facade extended up to make third storey. Architraves
on bracketed sills, but central window has Gibbs surround and
radial keyed round head. Cornice and parapet with large central
and terminal wreathed urns. Dated rainwater heads maybe 2-3
decades later than facade. C17 diamond set brick shafted paired stacks.
Interior: West rear wing has oak panelling of C17 and fine plaster
ceiling, probably of same date. Stair to attic and one attic room
also C17, panelled. All room with varied cornices, modillion
cornice to hall. Front rooms panelled and with C19 ceilings in
late C18 style. Justice Room and front ground floor room, severely
damaged by fire c1980. Roof renewed and undergoing restoration
1985. Building is on or near the site of a cell of the Abbey of
Bec Hellouin, founded 1112, of which no evidence now remains.
Court last held in Justice Room in 1922.
Listing NGR: SU1396952557
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings