History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Barnabas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bromborough, Wirral

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3329 / 53°19'58"N

Longitude: -2.9788 / 2°58'43"W

OS Eastings: 334912

OS Northings: 382222

OS Grid: SJ349822

Mapcode National: GBR 7YMW.WZ

Mapcode Global: WH87M.6HR9

Entry Name: Church of St Barnabas

Listing Date: 27 December 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183871

English Heritage Legacy ID: 215375

Location: Wirral, CH62

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: Bromborough

Built-Up Area: Bebington

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Bromborough St Barnabas

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Port Sunlight

Listing Text

SJ 38 SW, 6/56

BEBINGTON,
CHURCH LANE (north side),
Bromborough

Church of St Barnabas

27.12.62

G.V.

II*

Church. 1862-1864, steeple, 1880. By Sir Gilbert Scott.
Stone with slate roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to
roofs, chancel, south vestry and north east tower and broach
spire. Early English style. Aisles have sill course and 2-
light plate tracery windows with shafts and gablets. North
and south gabled porches have clasping buttresses with nook
shafts, and entrances of 2 orders. Clerestory has sexfoil
windows; west end has 2 lancets and plate-tracery rose
window. Chancel has round apsed end; moulded base, foliate
impost band and dog-tooth cornice; 3 lancets and weathered
buttresses. Tower has angle buttresses, 2-light windows,
lancets above, and paired 2-light louvred bell openings,
clock faces above. West canted stair turret. Lombard
frieze and spire with hipped lucarnes. Vestry has large
weathered buttresses, foliate cornice, east 2-light window
and south blind arcade with 2 lancets. Interior: has
arcades on octagonal piers with good carving to capitals.
Roof has braced collared rafters. Most glass by Clayton and
Bell, c.1870. Octagonal font on clustered shafts. Timber
screens and stalls of 1900; octagonal timber pulpit on stone
base. Chancel has 2-bay arcades set in giant arches with
quatrefoils, organ loft to north. Sanctuary has trefoil
blind arcading with diapered spandrels; reredos in form of
relief of the Last Supper. East window by Ballantine and
Son. 1863. A well-designed example of the work of Sir
Gilbert Scott.


Listing NGR: SJ3491282222

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.