History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Carding and Combing Shed at Oats Royd Mill Including Roadside Wall with Gateway

A Grade II Listed Building in Luddendenfoot, Calderdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7354 / 53°44'7"N

Longitude: -1.9421 / 1°56'31"W

OS Eastings: 403919

OS Northings: 426561

OS Grid: SE039265

Mapcode National: GBR GTW7.BP

Mapcode Global: WHB8G.4CGP

Entry Name: Carding and Combing Shed at Oats Royd Mill Including Roadside Wall with Gateway

Listing Date: 19 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183877

English Heritage Legacy ID: 339165

Location: Calderdale, HX2

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Luddendenfoot

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Luddenden with Luddendenfoot

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Sowerby Bridge

Listing Text

SOWERBY BRIDGE DEAN HOUSE LANE
SE 0226 & SE 0326
(east side, off),
4/163 Luddenden
Carding and Combing
shed at Oats Royd
Mill including roadside
wall with gateway
GV II
Carding and combing shed including roadside wall with gateway. Gateway
dated 1885. For John Murgatroyd & Sons. Coursed squared stone and ashlar
roof with Welsh slate and glass. Single tall storey, 17 bays, the west
wall forming roadside wall with gateway at north end. East front: mid-height
band; 4 inserted windows above; plain gutter brackets; the 12 left-hand
bays have rainwater spouts between them and the roof is ridged over each
bay, being glazed on the north side; the right-hand bays have parapet masking
a flat roof. West (roadside) front: wall is approximately 3 metres high
with triangular section coping, ramped up on either side of taller, truncated,
raised ashlar panel. In base of wall are blocked quoined rectangular openings
with deep lintels, giving onto the combing shed, and at a height of approx-
imately ½ metre a series of patterned tiled vents. Rusticated elliptical-arched
gateway on left has spiked panelled double door, tall dated ashlar surround,
and entablature with modillion cornice. A ground plan of the mill complex
made in 1898 shows that this building was use for carding and combing.
Included for group value. Murgatroyds: ground plan 1898 (674) in the collection
of papers on John Murgatroyd and Sons, Oats Royd, 1728-1892 (JM), Claderdale
archives.


Listing NGR: SE0397226551

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.