History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rose Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Hindon, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0946 / 51°5'40"N

Longitude: -2.1283 / 2°7'42"W

OS Eastings: 391108

OS Northings: 132819

OS Grid: ST911328

Mapcode National: GBR 1WM.8QK

Mapcode Global: FRA 66F7.8N7

Entry Name: Rose Cottage

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183910

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320918

Location: Hindon, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Hindon

Built-Up Area: Hindon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Hindon with Chicklade and Pertwood St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Hindon

Listing Text

HINDON HIGH STREET
ST 9132 (east side)

9/128 Rose Cottage
6.1.66
GV II

Semi-detached house. Mid C18. Limestone ashlar front, tiled roof,
gable end brick stacks. Entrance at right angles to road. Two-
storey and attic, 2-windowed front to street; two 12-pane sashes
in moulded stone architraves to ground and first floor, good
moulded stone eaves cornice, chamfered rusticated quoins. Right
return has C20 two-storey porch with C20 door, early C20 flat-
roofed 2-storey extension to right attached to late C18 English
bond rear wing with sashes, raised eaves and gabled dormer.
Interior has unusual dog leg stairs with carved flat wooden
balusters imitating wrought iron, moulded ramped handrail and
Tuscan newels, drawing room at front of house has round-arched
doorway with keystone and imposts, 6-panelled door, classical
wooden fireplace with semi-circular headed niche with shaped
shelves to right. Attached to rear is former stable with C20
doors, one C18 fixed window with round-arched lights, hipped dormer
to left with 2-light casement and planked loft door to right with
hip. One of a group of houses rebuilt shortly after the fire of
1754.


Listing NGR: ST9110832819

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.