History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Lamb Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Hindon, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.095 / 51°5'42"N

Longitude: -2.1291 / 2°7'44"W

OS Eastings: 391056

OS Northings: 132864

OS Grid: ST910328

Mapcode National: GBR 1WM.8JX

Mapcode Global: FRA 66F7.8C9

Entry Name: The Lamb Inn

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183924

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320924

Location: Hindon, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Hindon

Built-Up Area: Hindon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Hindon with Chicklade and Pertwood St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Hindon

Listing Text

HINDON HIGH STREET
ST 9132 (east side)

9/134 The Lamb Inn
6.1.66
GV II

Coaching inn. Mid C18 rebuild of earlier inn. Limestone ashlar
with some limestone and flint chequers, tiled roof, brick stacks.
L-plan, entrances on left return. Two storey, 6-window. To right
is fine pedimented door case with anthemion frieze and half-glazed
double doors, to left is bow window with 3 sashes, glazed door in
stone Tudor-arched surround, 12-pane sash, 9-pane sash with thick
glazing bars and 4-panelled door in porch. First floor has two 16-
pane sashes and pair of 16-pane sashes, one 12-pane and pair of 12-
pane sashes and 9-pane fixed window. Right return facing High
Street has two 16-pane tripartite sashes to ground floor and two
pairs of 12-pane sashes to first floor, stone modillioned eaves
cornice, hipped attic dormer with two 6-pane top-hung casements.
Rear has casements, planked doors and C20 extension in courtyard,
2-storey C18 wing in English bond brick has 12-pane sashes with
thick glazing bars.
Interior has open fireplace with timber lintel on stone jambs,
plaster beams, some C18 fitted cupboards; those in dining room
with raised and fielded panelling. Dog leg stairs have two turned
balusters to each tread, wide moulded handrail. An important
coaching inn on the London to Exeter road, this section turnpiked
1760-62.
(N. Sheard, The History of Hindon, 1979; VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 4,
1959)


Listing NGR: ST9104132834

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.