This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3651 / 51°21'54"N
Longitude: -0.1668 / 0°10'0"W
OS Eastings: 527714
OS Northings: 164483
OS Grid: TQ277644
Mapcode National: GBR DD.YCN
Mapcode Global: VHGRK.2Y4F
Entry Name: Water Pavilion at Carshalton House
Listing Date: 16 March 1954
Last Amended: 1 March 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183926
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206806
Location: Sutton, London, SM5
Electoral Ward/Division: Carshalton Central
Built-Up Area: Sutton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Carshalton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
Water Pavilion at
TQ 2764 SE 20/163 16.3.54.
Early C18, completed before 1721, probably to the design of Henry Joynes. One
storey, with a square tower 3 storeys high. Ground floor is brown brick, red
rubber brick dressings. West front 1-3-1 old round-headed sash windows with
stone keystones, the centre 3 in full height projection. Angle piers with stone
bases and fluted capitals. Plain frieze, band-cornice, tall parapet and moulded
stone capping. The tower rises at the rear of the centre of this front and has
a large open round arch with keystone and cill on brackets to each face. At
the corners and rising just to the springing level of these arches are attached
piers with stone cornice tops supporting flaming vases. Segmental cut out frieze
of brick to top of tower, brick and stone bands, and stone capped diminutive
Flemish gable style crenellations. Ornamental pyramidal corner finials with
ball tops. All fronts of tower similar, all fronts of ground floor similar,
North front is short, but South front, an orangery, has a long range of windows.
Entrance hall in centre of East front with Vanbrughian ceiling supported on pendentives
and with dome, room to North is Bath Room with original marble lined plunge bath,
the walls lined completely with blue and mauve Delft tiles. Pump chamber with
brick piers and arches, water channel and wheel - the water flows beneath the
building (formerly into the lake) and is then pumped up into a tank at the top
of the tower to feed the house and bathroom etc; original wheel removed 1960.
The Water Pavilion at Carshalton House and boundary wall to Carshalton House
in West Street form a group with Nos 3 to 11 (odd) and No 15 West Street with
Nos 2 to 12 and 18 to 24 (even) West Street and with The Old Rectory, Festival
Listing NGR: TQ2771464483
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings