This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7165 / 53°42'59"N
Longitude: -1.7975 / 1°47'51"W
OS Eastings: 413458
OS Northings: 424470
OS Grid: SE134244
Mapcode National: GBR HTWG.MH
Mapcode Global: WHC9N.CV87
Entry Name: Lower Green House
Listing Date: 2 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338834
Location: Calderdale, HD6
Electoral Ward/Division: Hipperholme and Lightcliffe
Built-Up Area: Brighouse
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hove Edge Saint Chad
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BRIGHOUSE GREEN LANE, HOVE EDGE
SE 12 SW
3/91 Lower Green House
House. Late C17 or early C18 with C19 alterations. Thin coursed hammer-dressed
stone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. Hall and cross-wing plan. Cross-wing
projects to front and rear. 2 bays to south front. 1st bay formed by cross-
wing has large 2-light sash windows but with wooden lintel and crude hoodmould
over from original window with same over. In gable is stone tablet for sundial.
Right hand return wall has chamfered mullioned windows of 2 lights to each
floor. 2nd bay has 2-light large sash window with plain stone surround and
projecting lintel with same over. Left hand return wall of cross-wing is
rendered, lateral stack has offsets. 2 hoodmoulds survive, one over modern
doorway the other over 3-light flat faced mullioned window. Similar windows of
3 lights and 5 lights to 1st floor. Rear has 2 parallel gabled ranges with
gable stacks and flat faced mullioned windows of 2 and 3 lights with hoodmoulds.
Return wall of left hand gabled range probably added kitchen abuts to hall on
south front and has double chamfered mullioned window of 6 lights and 2 lights
with hoodmould. Over is 4-light chamfered mullioned window. Stack to gable of
hall range and doorway with monolithic jambs.
Interior: Added kitchen range has 2-light firewindow, possibly once having a
bressumer and firehood now replaced by stone fireplace with flat arched lintel
inscribed 'IW 1722', simple chamfered surround. One other dated fireplace in
north chamber of cross-wing has similar detail inscribed 'IWD 1707'. Division
wall between hall and cross-wing preserves original timbered partitioning of
board and muntin type, with depressed tudor arched doorway next to original
stair area lit by open slatted partitions of 2 stages. Cross-wing has 2 king
post trusses with 5 'V' struts, panelled to the soffit of the tie beam.
Listing NGR: SE1345824470
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings