History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brighouse Library and Smith Art Gallery

A Grade II Listed Building in Brighouse, Calderdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.704 / 53°42'14"N

Longitude: -1.786 / 1°47'9"W

OS Eastings: 414224

OS Northings: 423080

OS Grid: SE142230

Mapcode National: GBR HTZL.4Z

Mapcode Global: WHC9V.J5R9

Entry Name: Brighouse Library and Smith Art Gallery

Listing Date: 2 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183940

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338836

Location: Calderdale, HD6

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Brighouse

Built-Up Area: Brighouse

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Brighouse Saint Martin

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Brighouse

Listing Text

BRIGHOUSE HALIFAX ROAD
SE 12 SW
3/98 Brighouse Library and
Smith Art Gallery

G.V. II
Formerly known as the Rydings. Public library and art gallery, part of which
was originally a house c.1840 for John Brooke (a local corn miller). Dressed
stone slate roof. Classical west front of 3 symmetrical bays. Rusticated
quoins, cornice and blocking course. Doorway has large monolithic jambs,
imposts and semi-circular arched-head with 4 paned fan light, flanked by double
pilasters and protected by porch supported on double columns set upon a plinth,
square on section to the outer, the inner having Corinthian capitals. Full
entablature. To either side are large 8 paned sash windows with lugged
architrave, blocking course and cornice. Over are windows with similar
surrounds but with projecting sills on consoles. Right hand return wall of 7
widely spaced bays A B B A B B A. The outer and middle bays break forward are
quoined and have large triple windows contained in spacious bow window to ground
floor. Balconies of heavy cast iron on them. All other windows of similar
character to west front. Hipped roof. Attached is early C20 extension forming
purpose built art gallery.

Interior: Entrance hall has imposing stair with decorative cast iron
balustrading with central well supported to either side by Tuscan columns with
full entablature, galleried on 3 sides. Overall is domed cupola. 1st floor
reading room preserves remarkable carved oak panelling by native born craftsman
H. P. Jackson (1867 - 1931) furnishings also include canopied settle, carved
armchairs and overmantel. D. Nortcliffe, Buildings of Brighouse, (Brighouse,
1978), p.30. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (1967), p.147.


Listing NGR: SE1422423080

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.