This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6623 / 53°39'44"N
Longitude: -1.5511 / 1°33'3"W
OS Eastings: 429762
OS Northings: 418518
OS Grid: SE297185
Mapcode National: GBR KVL2.ZW
Mapcode Global: WHCB5.46NR
Entry Name: Carr Lodge
Listing Date: 6 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183950
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342507
Location: Wakefield, WF4
Electoral Ward/Division: Horbury and South Ossett
Built-Up Area: Horbury
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Horbury St Peter and St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE2918 HORBURY NEW STREET
(north side, off)
9/14 Carr Lodge
Mansion now offices. Built between 1770 and 1775 for John Bayldon; later
rear wing. Brick, Welsh slate roof. Two storeys, 3-storey wing.
Symmetrical 5-bay facade. Ashlar plinth. Central door of 6 fielded panels
with fanlight in pedimented Ionic portico up five stone steps with swept
stone sides and square, stone terminal piers. 12-pane sashes with raised
sills and flat brick-arched heads. Band between floors. Moulded eaves
cornice and blocking course. Hipped roof. Brick stacks at apexes. rear:
central, debased Venetian stair window. 2-bay left return, 3-bay right
return. The 3-storey rear wing is in 2 builds. Its main elevation projects
from the left return of the main house and is of 4 bays. Unequally-hung 20-
pane sashes to ground floor, that to bay 2 altered to a tripartite window.
16-pane sashes to 1st floor and unequally-hung 12-pane sashes to 2nd floor.
All have flat brick-arched heads. The 2-bay rear of this wing has a tall
slender stair window to left; Venetian windows (as before) to ground floor;
lunette windows to 1st floor and small 8-pane sash windows with cambered
heads to 2nd floor.
Interior: not inspected.
The house was formerly called Sunroyd House and in 1790 was conveyed to John
Carr, lawyer and nephew of John Carr the architect.
Listing NGR: SE2976218518
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings