History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Cottage church Farm Cottage old Church House

A Grade II Listed Building in Warbleton, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9407 / 50°56'26"N

Longitude: 0.2897 / 0°17'22"E

OS Eastings: 560960

OS Northings: 118186

OS Grid: TQ609181

Mapcode National: GBR MS4.VDL

Mapcode Global: FRA C6HM.8NP

Entry Name: Church Cottage church Farm Cottage old Church House

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Last Amended: 12 August 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183954

English Heritage Legacy ID: 295682

Location: Warbleton, Wealden, East Sussex, TN21

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

Civil Parish: Warbleton

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Warbleton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Warbleton

Listing Text

WARBLETON WARBLETON VILLAGE
1.
5208
Church Farm Cottage
Church Cottage and
Old Church House
(formerly listed as
Church Cottages
4 cottages)
TQ 61 NW 8/703 13.10.52

II


2.
This building was originally the workhouse, later the schoolhouse, later
4 cottages, now 3. One of the chimneys has the date 1739 on it, but the
whole range, except the northernmost cottage is probably at least as old
as the late C17 if not earlier. Two storeys. Nine windows. Red brick and
grey headers on a stone base. Ornamental red brick stringcourse Eaves cornice
of brick cogging to the centre portion of the block. Hipped tiled roof.
Casement windows with wooden mullions and transoms and diamond-shaped leaded
panes. The southernmost cottage has a doorway with a flat hood over on brackets
and a doorway up 4 steps in moulded architrave surround with a door of 6
fielded panels, also 4 in the centre of the building is a plaque inscribed
"Presented to George Darby of Marklye, 1866".


Listing NGR: TQ6096018186

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.