This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3823 / 51°22'56"N
Longitude: -0.2612 / 0°15'40"W
OS Eastings: 521101
OS Northings: 166235
OS Grid: TQ211662
Mapcode National: GBR 90.QTV
Mapcode Global: VHGRH.FJ86
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 30 May 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184102
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203087
Location: Kingston upon Thames, London, KT4
District: Kingston upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Malden
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Thames
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Malden St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/04/2018
TQ 26 NW
CHURCH ROAD (west side)
Church of St John the Baptist
(Formerly listed under CHURCH ROAD, Malden)
The church is of medieval origin with extensive C17 and C19 alterations and additions. The medieval church was built by Walter de Merton (ob 1277), founder of Merton College, Oxford. It comprised nave, chancel and west tower. The flint south and east walls of the chancel survive. In 1610, the nave and tower were re-built in red brick, laid in English bond. Stone dressed three light Perpendicular windows to nave. The church was restored in 1863 by T G Jackson and 1875 Jackson added a new, larger nave and chancel, reducing the original church to a south aisle and chapel. The new nave and chancel are in red brick, with tiled roofs. Good 19th century screen, pulpit, font and stained glass. Heraldic panel dated 1611 in easternmost south aisle window. Window by Webb in north aisle.
Listing NGR: TQ2110166235
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings