This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3716 / 51°22'17"N
Longitude: -0.1686 / 0°10'7"W
OS Eastings: 527571
OS Northings: 165206
OS Grid: TQ275652
Mapcode National: GBR DD.B5C
Mapcode Global: VHGRK.1S6D
Entry Name: Bedford Cottage woodcote House
Listing Date: 29 October 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184153
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206836
Location: Sutton, London, SM5
Electoral Ward/Division: The Wrythe
Built-Up Area: Sutton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Carshalton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
WRYTHE GREEN ROAD
TQ 2765 SE 7/221 29.10.70.
Early C19. 2 storeys faced with tongued and grooved boarding fixed herringbone
fashion. Original 2 and 3-light casements with iron diamond shaped tracery.
Full height central semi-octagonal bay; ground floor of bay with simple pedimented
porch with bargeboards and shelters. 2-light ground floor windows in angles
of bay; 3-light window above porch, Slate roof with roof shaped to bay. Formerly
elaborate wrought iron weather vane with scrolls and cardinal points and vane
proper pierced with the date 1758, no doubt from elsewhere; now in the Victoria
and Albert Museum [Room 114A, Reference M7O-RP55/2493]. 3-light window on ground
and 1st floors to either side of central bay. Within, centre front room has
a fireplace with fluted surround, moulded mantle-shelf and iron grate. According
to oral tradition, this building was originally an old toll house situated on
London to Sutton turnpike at Morden-Carshalton cross-roads, Rosehill, and which
was later moved on rollers to its present site by Wrythe Green Road. The Surrey
and Sussex Turnpike Trust refers to a Toll-gate in Carshalton (that is, presumably,
Rosehill) on 21 March 1865. No building is shown in the right place on Wrythe
Green on the 1847 Tithe Map but a building is shown on the Ordnance Survey Map
of 1868; a photograph of about 1870 survives showing the building in its present
place on Wrythe Green.
Listing NGR: TQ2757165206
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings