This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0587 / 52°3'31"N
Longitude: -1.4383 / 1°26'17"W
OS Eastings: 438609
OS Northings: 240183
OS Grid: SP386401
Mapcode National: GBR 6RC.WQM
Mapcode Global: VHBYR.0JZ5
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184161
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244668
Location: Shutford, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Shutford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Shutford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Church of St. Martin
Church. Late C12/C13, rebuilt in the C14 and C15 and restored in 1841. Coursed
ironstone rubble and regular coursed ironstone rubble. Slate roofs. Stone coped
gable to chapel and parapets to chancel and nave. Chancel, nave, north chapel,
north aisle and tower standing at the west end of the north aisle. Chancel has a
3-light east window with intersecting tracery, a 2-light lancet with cinquefoil
on north and a 2-light Perpendicular window and a lancet on the south. Nave has
a 2-light Perpendicular window with hood mould on the south. North aisle has two
3-light windows with intersecting tracery. Parapet has a sundial on south.
Gabled stone porch has a stone slate roof and stone coped gable. Pointed arched
doorway. Plank door. Narrow Perpendicular tower of 2 stages has a late C12
window in the ground stage and Perpendicular windows to bell-chamber stage.
Crenellated parapet with finials. Ashlar diagonal buttresses. C12 north arcade
has 2 plain pointed arches and a round pier with a trumpet scalloped capital. A
third bay to the east is C13 and opens to the C13 chapel which has a squint to
the chancel. Perpendicular chancel screen. Octagonal Romanesque font. C19 bench
seats. C19 roofs in chapel and chancel.
(VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p253-4; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974,
Listing NGR: SP3860940183
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings