This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6059 / 51°36'21"N
Longitude: -1.8048 / 1°48'17"W
OS Eastings: 413612
OS Northings: 189696
OS Grid: SU136896
Mapcode National: GBR 4TV.6JV
Mapcode Global: VHB36.NWQR
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 26 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184208
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318249
Location: Blunsdon St. Andrew, Swindon, SN25
Civil Parish: Blunsdon St Andrew
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: North Swindon St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
5410 BLUNSDON ST ANDREW TADPOLE LANE
Church of St Andrew
SU 18 NW 7/90 26.1.55
Mediaeval traces. Practically rebuilt by Butterfield 1868. Small country church
of rubble with red tile roof. C15 style grafted on early English. Chancel,
nave and south aisle, west bell turret with 2 bells and odd spirelet. Three
bay nave with central gabled porch to north with quatrefoil vent and trefoil
heads to side buttresses. Hollow chamfered surround to pointed doorway (possibly
C13), wrought iron strap hinges. A 2 and a 3-light square headed Perpendicular
style window with mouchette heads. Plain ashlar dressed paired lights to lower
later 2 bay chancel with gabled organ vestry to north. Three light geometrical
east window (with, inside, a foiled 'rere-arch' - in fact foiled reveal).
The west front appears to be a different build: rough-faced rubble with ashlar
bands. Central belfry break with 2 foiled openings and crenellated parapet
to nipped roof; small octagonal spirelet and weathervane; this break is linked
by wall thickening and buttress to small door to south-west with Caernarvon
arch. Foiled vesca-shape opening to right. Boiler house and chimney to south-west.
Interior: reused plain circa 1200 doorway (now a niche). Low 3 bay arcade,
C13. Butterfield reredos, altar-rails, sedilia and pews retained.
Nave roof: king post type with foiled braces.
Rubble churchyard wall to south and to west, gabled doorway formerly entrance
from Abbey. Numerous mediaeval fragments - sculpted stones, mediaeval tiles
and some traces of an arcade found during work of 1868, indicating a later church
in the Middle Ages.
Listing NGR: SU1361289696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings