History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Birstall and Birkenshaw, Kirklees

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7503 / 53°45'1"N

Longitude: -1.6931 / 1°41'35"W

OS Eastings: 420335

OS Northings: 428260

OS Grid: SE203282

Mapcode National: GBR JTM2.7C

Mapcode Global: WHC9H.YZYT

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 13 January 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1184226

English Heritage Legacy ID: 340988

Location: Kirklees, BD11

County: Kirklees

Electoral Ward/Division: Birstall and Birkenshaw

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Birkenshaw St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Birkenshaw

Listing Text

SE 22 NW SPENBOROUGH MB BRADFORD ROAD
BIRKENSHAW
2/82
Church of St Paul

II


Commissioners' Church in Lancet style. 1829-30 by Peter Atkinson Jnr.
Chancel added 1892. Roof reconstructed 1870 by Eli Milnes of Bradford.
Ashlar. Slate roof with ashlar parapet. Square west tower with
slender ribbed octagonal stone spire. Five bay nave marked by bold
buttresses. Short chancel. Tall nave windows are 2-light with
traceried heads, in deep moulded reveals. East window is 4-light
with geometrical tracery. Hood moulds have mask-like figure head
stops. Three-tier square tower with reducing angle buttresses.
Slender west lancet, above which is round clock surround in diamond.
Single light louvred bell chamber opening to each side. Crenellated
parapet on moulded corbel brackets. Doorway on south side of tower.

Chancel screen of carved oak, 1921, with shields with names of those
who fell in 1st World War and brass plate to those who fell in 2nd
World War. Organ to left. Lady Chapel to right. Formerly gallery
to rear. Exposed lattice-type roof truss with colonnettes.


Listing NGR: SE2033528260

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.