History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Killingworth, North Tyneside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0327 / 55°1'57"N

Longitude: -1.5646 / 1°33'52"W

OS Eastings: 427930

OS Northings: 570992

OS Grid: NZ279709

Mapcode National: GBR KBJ7.2Q

Mapcode Global: WHC3C.YR4R

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 27 February 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1184227

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303257

Location: North Tyneside, NE12

County: North Tyneside

Electoral Ward/Division: Killingworth

Built-Up Area: Longbenton

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Killingworth St John

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Seaton Burn

Listing Text

LONGBENTON WEST LANE (north side, off)
NZ 27 SE
Killingworth.
3/13
Church of St. John the
27.2.50 Evangelist.
G.V. II
Parish church. 1869 by E. Bassett Keeling. Sandstone, coursed and squared, with
bands of red sandstone; rendered north nave wall. Welsh slate roof with stone
copings. Nave and chancel with continuous shorter south aisle; 3-sided apse.
West door in aisle has nook shafts and 2-centred arch under high pointed dripmould.
2-centred arches and red impost bands to cusped lancets, paired in clerestory;
plate tracery to larger west and east windows. Crescents carved in coping of
buttresses, clasping to nave and aisle. Interior: brick with ashlar dressings;
rendered blind north arcade; ashlar lower section to chancel and plaster above.
Scissor-braced roof. Stiff-leaf arcade capitals; bracketed shafts to moulded
chancel arch and blind arch in north chancel wall. Priest's door under high
pointed crocketed hood-mould. Stencilled decoration to chancel roof. Chancel
floor of tiles and Frosterley marble contains brass memorial to first vicar,
J. S. Blair, died 1890. Historical note: the crescent is the emblem of the Dukes
of Northumberland.


Listing NGR: NZ2793070992

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.