History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Alban

A Grade II Listed Building in St Mary's, North Tyneside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0461 / 55°2'46"N

Longitude: -1.5004 / 1°30'1"W

OS Eastings: 432020

OS Northings: 572518

OS Grid: NZ320725

Mapcode National: GBR KBY2.ZW

Mapcode Global: WHC3D.XFPD

Entry Name: Church of St Alban

Listing Date: 19 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1184308

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303270

Location: North Tyneside, NE25

County: North Tyneside

Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's

Built-Up Area: Whitley Bay

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Earsdon and Backworth

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Whitley Bay

Listing Text

SEATON VALLEY (part) FRONT STREET (north side)
NZ 37 SW
Earsdon.
4/26
Church of St. Alban
G.V.
II
Parish church. 1836-7 by John and Benjamin Green; 1889 chancel. Coursed squared
sandstone with ashlar dressings. plinth and quoins; Welsh slate roof with stone
gable copings. West tower; nave; chancel with north vestry and south porch. Early
English style. Gothic-panelled double south door in tower under stepped lancet
belfry openings offsets to set-back buttresses with spirelets on upper stages;
central canopied pierced lancets to parapet. Buttressed, 6-bay nave and 2-bay
chancel have lancets; 2-light sanctuary and 4-light east windows. Boarded porch
door in 2-centred arch. Interior: plaster; gothic-traceried struts to bracketed
queen-post roof, upper level ceiled. Banded quatrefoil columns support west
gallery; 2-centred arch to north organ chamber. Glass: in east nave lancets:
C16, possibly by Galyon Hone for Hampton Court: presented in 1874 by Lord Hastings;
restored by L. C. Evetts in 1958: armorials of Henry VII and Henry VIII. Sources:
L.C. Evetts "Sixteenth Century Heraldic Glass at Earsdon, Northumberland"
Archaeologia Aeliana 4; XXXVII; 333-39


Listing NGR: NZ3202072518

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.