This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1172 / 51°7'2"N
Longitude: -1.7434 / 1°44'36"W
OS Eastings: 418055
OS Northings: 135357
OS Grid: SU180353
Mapcode National: GBR 50Q.XQK
Mapcode Global: VHB5R.Q5PW
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 18 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184486
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320060
Location: Winterbourne, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Winterbourne
Built-Up Area: Winterbourne Gunner
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Winterbourne Gunner St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WINTERBOURNE A338, Winterbourne Gunner
SU 13 NE
3/171 Church of St Mary
Anglican parish church. C12-C13, c1687, 1810 restored 1886 and
1977. Flint with limestone dressings, tower rendered to exposed
quoining, and whitewashed. Tiled roofs. Short late C12-early C13
nave, chancel, C12 tower at west end, and south porch erected after
removal of south aisle. Entrance through reset chamfered arch to
porch with moulded hood and block terminals. Two-light plate
tracery windows to nave, C19, ogee headed lancet to south wall of
chancel and an early C19 brick arched window. Late C19 east
window. Chancel north wall rebuilt with brick banding 1810. Reset
datestone in east wall 1687. Window head of Saxo-Norman type in
north nave wall. Tower has north door and 3-iight west window.
Bell openings ?C12 and early C14. Pyramidal tiled roof.
Interior: Nave of 2 bays, late C12-early C13 arcade of chamfered
arches on octagonal column and responds, blocked on outside face,
apparently a late medieval reduction. C14 roof with arch braced
trussed rafters and moulded central tie beam. Old plaster.
Blocked north door. Chancel arch also simply chamfered on
chamfered responds with bar stops. Chancel plastered -and ceiled,
1810, with simple cornice. Tower arch full width of tower.
Fittings: Font, late C12-early C13, tub on turned shaft. Pulpit
C19 panelled limestone, octagonal with steps from chancel.
Elementary altar rails. C17 panelling to east wall of sanctuary.
Paintings: St Christopher on north wall, removed. Black letter
inscription from Luke XIII over chancel arch over earlier painting.
Small painted area over pulpit.
Monuments: In chancel, 7 wall monuments. North side, from east:
a) White marble on grey. Framed and pedimented inscription to
Jane Tanner, died 1849.
b) Similar, on grey marble by Osmund of Sarum. To Frances
Tanner, died 1823.
c) Limestone monument. Cushioned inscription draped in
curtaining, facing putto on apron, and acanthus crest. To
Elizabeth Powell, died 1753.
d) Plain white slab by Soper, to Edward Griffith and wife, died
e) Alabaster tablet to Ethel Allan, died 1915.
f) Chaste white tablet on corniced black slab. To Rev Charles
Coleman, died 1815.
g) Corniced tablet on gabled grey marble, urn over, by Osmund, to
Betty Westcott died 1834.
In nave: north side:
h) Similar to first but oval tablet, to William Cusse, died 1814.
i) Similar but cruder, by Soper, to Herbert Mauger.
Two C19 painted commandment boards under tower. Furniture: Small
oak chest in sanctuary, C17 with incised arcading. Small C18 oak
box with two locks.
(Ponting, C.E. in W.A.M. 36 (1909); Pevsner, Building of England,
Listing NGR: SU1805635355
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings