This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.086 / 51°5'9"N
Longitude: 0.9567 / 0°57'24"E
OS Eastings: 607170
OS Northings: 136011
OS Grid: TR071360
Mapcode National: GBR SYX.W47
Mapcode Global: FRA D6W7.YB2
Entry Name: Ruffyn's Hill Farmhouse and Walls Projecting
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184521
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181632
Location: Aldington, Ashford, Kent, TN25
Civil Parish: Aldington
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 03 NE ALDINGTON ROMAN ROAD
4/47 Ruffyn's Hill
House. C16 or earlier, altered early C17. Timber framed and clad with
red brick, in part in English bond, with some ragstone walling. Plain
tiled roof. Hall house plan in origin. Two storeys on plinth
(ragstone to rear) with hipped roof with gablets (half-hipped to left)
with stack clusters to left and projecting and offset to end right.
Two tripartite wooden casements, with segmental heads on ground floor,
and 6 panelled door in gabled porch, with semi-circular fanlight to
centre right. Two storeyed C17 gabled porch to left, with diapered
brickwork and stone quoins, stone mullioned and transomed window and
plank and stud door in four centred arched doorway with label hood.
Projecting rear wings, part in ragstone, with four-centred arched
doorway and catslide outshot to main range. Interior: Cl7 reeded
beamed ceiling, oak panelling (similar to some now located in Aldington
parish church), plaster cornices, staircase and carved overmantel
reported. Projecting from front elevation to right a ragstone wall,
some 8 feet high and about 10 yards long, with brick surround to four
centred arched doorway. Red brick and ragstone wall projecting to left,
about 10 x 25 yards with blocked up arched opening, terminating in
red brick pier. The house was altered and enriched prior to his death
in 1639 by Humphrey Blechenden (panelling in Church said to be from
Ruffyn's Hill dated 1617). (See Hasted, VIII, 322; Igglesden, 13,
Listing NGR: TR0716836013
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings