History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Croft House ivy Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Rothwell, Leeds

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7496 / 53°44'58"N

Longitude: -1.4531 / 1°27'11"W

OS Eastings: 436161

OS Northings: 428276

OS Grid: SE361282

Mapcode National: GBR LT92.6L

Mapcode Global: WHDBY.N07T

Entry Name: Croft House ivy Cottage

Listing Date: 5 June 1964

Last Amended: 28 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1184531

English Heritage Legacy ID: 342096

Location: Leeds, LS26

County: Leeds

Electoral Ward/Division: Rothwell

Built-Up Area: Rothwell

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Oulton with Woodlesford St John

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Wakefield

Listing Text

SE 32 NE ROTHWELL CALVERLEY ROAD
LS26 (south side)
Oulton

6/73 Nos. 16 and 18
5th June 1964 (Ivy Cottage and
Croft House)
(formerly listed as No 18
"Croft House and
Croft Cottage")

II


Pair of houses, now one dwelling. Dated 1699 (No. 16) and 1688 (No. 18) over
doors; altered. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, stone slate roof with
brick chimneys. Rectangular plan, each of 2 units. Two storeys.
No. 18 (Croft House), on the left, has quoins at the junction , a chamfered
Tudor-arched doorway offset left of centre, with lintel inscribed " JR
1688"
a blocked doorway at 1st floor over this, and to the right, close to the
junction, a blocked single-light firewindow with chamfered surround, and
remains of another at ground floor below; all other openings at the front
altered. No. 16 (Ivy Cottage), on the right, has at its left end, close to
the junction, a gabled single-storey porch with chamfered Tudor-arched
doorway, a large datestone above inscribed " HC
1699"
and gable coping with large kneelers; to the right at 1st floor a blocked
4-light window with recessed chamfered mullions; all other openings at the
front altered. At the rear No. 18, the earlier part, has the left jamb and
head of a former window, perhaps transomed; junction marked by quoins at
1st floor of No. 18 and a ragged joint overlapping from No. 16 at ground
floor; otherwise, all features altered or enlarged.

Interior; housepart of No. 18 has one axial beam with cyma-stopped chamfer,
and a large stone fireplace with flat-arched chamfered surround, probably an
early replacement for the inglenook suggested by the firewindow; No. 16 has
a primitive stone fireplace with bressumer of light scantling; and 2
chamfered beams with run-out stops.


Listing NGR: SE3616128276

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.