History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Front Garden Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Luddendenfoot, Calderdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7254 / 53°43'31"N

Longitude: -1.941 / 1°56'27"W

OS Eastings: 403991

OS Northings: 425441

OS Grid: SE039254

Mapcode National: GBR GTWC.L9

Mapcode Global: WHB8G.4MZF

Entry Name: Front Garden Wall

Listing Date: 19 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1184654

English Heritage Legacy ID: 339267

Location: Calderdale, HX2

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Luddendenfoot

Built-Up Area: Luddenden Foot

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Luddenden with Luddendenfoot

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Sowerby Bridge

Listing Text

SOWERBY BRIDGE LUDDENDEN LANE
SE 0225-0325 & SE 0425
(west side), Luddenden
6/124 & 7/124 Foot
Front garden wall with 3
doorways attached to
east front of Kershaw
- House
GV II
Garden wall with 3 doorways. Dated 1660, partly rebuilt. Coursed squared stone.
Wall, enclosing rectangular garden, has doorway in east wall, opposite main
entrance to Kershaw House (qv), and 2 in west wall flanking house. Wall is approx
3 metres high with quoins and 2 courses of roll-moulded coping. Doorway in west
wall, to south of house, and facing west has stop-chamfered quoined, ogee-headed
surround, the lintel having incised panel with date. South wall curves in S shape
and has a chamfered arched light in south-east bend. Doorway in east wall, facing
east, has round arch rising above wall and stop-chamfered moulded surround. The
north wall and its return to the house, partially crenellated and with doorway to
north of house, are rebuilt. Kershaw House belonged to James Murgatroyd in the
first half of the C17. In his will of 1653 James bequeathed the house to his
youngest son, Thomas, who re-edified the house and whose initials with the date
1650 are over the main doorway. It has been suggested that the date 1660 on the
south-west doorway indicates the completion of his work. 'Antiquarians at
Midgley. Kershaw House, Brearley Hall and Luddenden Church', Halifax Antiquarian
Society, Vol 1, 1902, Saturday 10 May.


Listing NGR: SE0399125441

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.