History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Two Portals to Mill (Premises Occupied by Systematic Glazing Services Installations Limited)

A Grade II Listed Building in Queensbury, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7725 / 53°46'21"N

Longitude: -1.8095 / 1°48'34"W

OS Eastings: 412653

OS Northings: 430702

OS Grid: SE126307

Mapcode National: GBR J5T.26

Mapcode Global: WHC9G.5FLS

Entry Name: Two Portals to Mill (Premises Occupied by Systematic Glazing Services Installations Limited)

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1184752

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336127

Location: Bradford, BD6

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Queensbury

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Shelf St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Thornton

Listing Text

1.
5111 BEACON ROAD
Slackside/Bank Top BD6

Two portals to Mill (premises

occupied by Systematic Glazing

Services Installations Ltd)
SE 1230 58/267

II


2.
The mill proper has been very considerably altered but was one of the earliest
worsted mills in Horton dating from 1817 and known as Bank Top Mill. It was much
enlarged in 1860-66 and the unaltered portals are dated 1864. The massive ashlar
portals flank the set back front of the mill. They have chamfered quoins, archivolt
archways, with bearded head keystones and impost mouldings and are finished off by
entablatures with bracket cornices. The east portal is surmounted by a large scroll
supported and corniced blind plaque or cartouche with wreath surround. The
architects for the enlargment of the mill and the portals were Milnes and France.


Listing NGR: SE1265330702

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.