This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3246 / 51°19'28"N
Longitude: -1.8012 / 1°48'4"W
OS Eastings: 413950
OS Northings: 158411
OS Grid: SU139584
Mapcode National: GBR 4Y4.TP9
Mapcode Global: VHB4K.QYNX
Entry Name: The Old Manor House
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311048
Location: Manningford, Wiltshire, SN9
Civil Parish: Manningford
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
MANNINGFORD MANNINGFORD BRUCE
SU 15 NW (west side)
2/97 The Old Manor House
Farmhouse, early C17. Timber framed on malmstone sill, with
rendered brick noggings. Thatched roof. Two storeys and attics.
Main block at right angles to road, lobby entry plan, originally
symmetrical about two-storey gabled porch, the upper floor jettied
on dragon beams. Rear wing of 3 bays, partly rebuilt in C19, and
gabled block at left end, early C19, but probably replacing earlier
framed bay. Porch has turned wood balusters either side, now
glazed and carved brackets. Panelled door. Internal door and
flanking studs removed. Windows all renewed 1985, now timber with
diamond leading. Rear of front block originally single-storey and
attic, raised later to 2 storeys. Framing 2 panels high to ground
floor, upper floor one panel with added height in close studding,
with braces. Bays each side of porch gabled, and end also gabled;
the attic window blocked and bearing date 1636. Carved bargeboards
and finial. Rear wing 3 panels high with straight corner braces.
Gables to central bay facing road, which has been raised by 1
panel. Brick wing at left end has stepped 3-light timber window
and similar window to end gable of rear wing. Interior: large
chalkstone stack in centre, the upper flue rebuilt. Undergoing
extensive restoration 1985. The house is allegedly where Mary
Nicholas (whose monument is in St Peter's Church, q.v.) sheltered
Charles II after the Battle of Worcester, and for which deed she
acquired the right to the royal arms in canton on her escutcheon.
Listing NGR: SU1395058411
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings