This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8421 / 54°50'31"N
Longitude: -1.4682 / 1°28'5"W
OS Eastings: 434252
OS Northings: 549831
OS Grid: NZ342498
Mapcode National: GBR LD5G.Y0
Mapcode Global: WHD5J.FK39
Entry Name: Davenport and Lilburne Almshouses
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184826
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303178
Location: Sunderland, DH4
Electoral Ward/Division: Houghton
Built-Up Area: Houghton-le-Spring
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Houghton-le-Spring
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ34NW HOUGHTON-LE-SPRING CHURCH STREET (north side)
Davenport and Lilburne
Almshouses, now 3 separate dwellings. Dated 1668, restored c.1978. Coursed
squared sandstone; roof pantiled. E-plan: one cottage flanked by 2 cottages.
One storey, 5 bays. Central door under flattened Tudor arch in stop-chamfered
surround with triangular-stopped label mould; either side are 3-light
mullioned windows with similar moulds. Returns to street have door in angle
and one 3-light window; gables to street have 3-light window:all similar
to central house. Gable peaks contain inscriptions and shields: the north
commemorating George Lilburn's building of half of the hospital in 1668,
the south an endowment from the Reverend William Sharp. Flat stone gable
coping and one transverse ridge chimney on each return.
Listing NGR: NZ3425249831
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings