History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Matthew

A Grade II Listed Building in Copt Hill, Sunderland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8578 / 54°51'27"N

Longitude: -1.4722 / 1°28'19"W

OS Eastings: 433980

OS Northings: 551569

OS Grid: NZ339515

Mapcode National: GBR LD58.2F

Mapcode Global: WHD5J.C569

Entry Name: Church of St Matthew

Listing Date: 15 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1184890

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303197

Location: Sunderland, DH4

County: Sunderland

Electoral Ward/Division: Copt Hill

Built-Up Area: Houghton-le-Spring

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Newbottle

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Houghton le Spring

Listing Text

NZ35SW HOUGHTON-LE-SPRING FRONT STREET (north side)
Newbottle.
4/41 (Inset)
Church of St. Matthew.

G.V. II

Parish church. 1885-6 by Oliver and Leeson of Newcastle; porch 1888. Rock-
faced sandstone; Welsh slate roof. Nave with south porch, north and south
double transepts, apsed chancel. Early English style.4-bay nave has groups of
3 lancets; paired lancets in each transept gable; paired lancets in 3-bay
chancel and 3-sided apse; south porch has cusped arch with niche over. Roofs
high-pitched; fiat stone coping at east end of nave; small slate-covered fleche
over crossing has gablets over alternate louvres in the octagonal belfry;
cross-finials of stone at west, iron at east and on fleche. Interior plain
apart from west window: first World War memorial (in 3 paired lancets) depicts
the Call of Matthew, the Transfiguration and the Raising of the Widow's Son.
Other stained glass includes two windows in the north transept which came from
the previous church on the site (built in 1850 and demolished to make way for
the present building).
Source: C.W. English, Diocese of Durham: Parish Church of St. Matthew,
Newbottle Centenary 1850 - 1950. Manchester 1950.


Listing NGR: NZ3398051569

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.