This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2372 / 52°14'13"N
Longitude: -1.4526 / 1°27'9"W
OS Eastings: 437479
OS Northings: 260026
OS Grid: SP374600
Mapcode National: GBR 6P6.RK6
Mapcode Global: VHBXY.R1YB
Entry Name: Wagstaffe School House
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Last Amended: 20 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184894
English Heritage Legacy ID: 307081
Location: Harbury, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV33
Civil Parish: Harbury
Built-Up Area: Harbury
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Harbury All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
HARBURY CROWN STREET
SP3760 (West side)
11/85 Wagstaffe School House
30/05/67 (Formerly listed as
School, now house. Founded 1611 by Thomas Wagstaffe. Restored 1866; converted
late C20. Regular coursed limestone with plinth and sandstone dressings. Old
tile roof has coped gable parapets with weatherings and ball finials; brick
lateral stack to left return side and end stack to rear. T-plan, with cross wing
on left. 2 storeys, with roof later converted to attic; 3-window range. Entrance
in cross wing has C20 panelled double-leaf doors, in moulded straight-headed
4-centred doorway with moulded spandrels and hood mould. Recessed chamfered
stone mullioned windows throughout, mostly with hood moulds. Cross wing has
4-light ground floor and two 3-light first floor windows. Datestone with long
inscription in moulded frame between first floor windows. Right return side has
small 3-light first floor window. Main range has 5-light windows, 2 on ground
floor and one to left on first floor. Left return side has 5-light window, and
3-light and one-light first floor windows. Right return side has large 5-light
window with transom. Rear has three 4-light ground floor windows; the right
window is considerably longer. First floor has 3- and 4-light windows. Interior:
wide basket-arched doorway. Former schoolroom has chamfered stone Tudor-arched
fireplace, Stepped-stop moulded ceiling beam. Heavy panelled wooden screen has
6-panel door, with another door inserted, and turned balusters, First floor has
plank doors with strap hinges. First floor room has smaller chamfered
Tudor-arched fireplace. The inscription reads: Founded by Thos. Wagstaffe, Gent.
1611. Estab'd by Decree in Chauncery (Butler versus Wagstaffe) 1637. Confirmed
by order of ye same Court (Attorney Gen. versus Barber) 1759.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.6, p.103; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.307;
Harbury Society: 'Hungry Harbury', pp.7 and 55).
Listing NGR: SP3747960026
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings