This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6317 / 52°37'54"N
Longitude: -1.1379 / 1°8'16"W
OS Eastings: 458446
OS Northings: 304120
OS Grid: SK584041
Mapcode National: GBR FFL.SH
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.H3CS
Entry Name: Magazine Gateway
Listing Date: 5 January 1950
Last Amended: 14 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184902
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188745
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Mary de Castro
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/10/2016
SK 5804 SW,
THE NEWARKE (North Side),
(Formerly listed as: Magazine Gateway Regimental Museum)
(Previously listed as: Newarke Gateway)
Mediaeval gateway to the area added to the Castle in 1331 by the Third
Earl of Leicester. The building is circa 1410. Stone. Rectangular on
plan. Three storeys. Bertizans at angles and domed octagonal stair turret.
Restored parapet. Moulded four-centred arches to pedestrian and carriageways
to east, only one wider arch on west, with tierceron-vault. Rectangular
windows with moulded labels, mostly Victorian restoration, deeply recessed
one two or three-light stone mullion windows with cusped head lights.
The Drill Hall extension of 1894 in facsimile on south has been demolished.
It is now isolated by recent road scheme. Used as a museum until 1996.
Listing NGR: SK5844604120
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings