History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Capel House

A Grade II Listed Building in Orlestone, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0844 / 51°5'3"N

Longitude: 0.8514 / 0°51'5"E

OS Eastings: 599806

OS Northings: 135545

OS Grid: TQ998355

Mapcode National: GBR RXG.S4T

Mapcode Global: FRA D6N8.5HV

Entry Name: Capel House

Listing Date: 15 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1184965

English Heritage Legacy ID: 181669

Location: Orlestone, Ashford, Kent, TN26

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Orlestone

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Orlestone

Listing Text

TQ 93 NE ORLESTONE CAPEL ROAD
(north side)
2/84 Capel House
15.2.88
GV II
House. Cl6 and clad C18 and extended 1920's. Timber and clad with
red and blue checked brick and extended with exposed timber frame.
Plain tiled roofs. Lobby entry plan. Two storeys and attic with
dentilled brick eaves cornice to roof with hips and gablets and
moulded C19 stacks to centre left, rear left and end right. Three hipped
dormers. Two 3 light and one 2 light leaded wooden casements on 1st
floor and 2 mid C20 oriels on ground floor with late C19 bay to right,
partly in catslide outshot. Plank and stud door to centre left in
hipped porch (this and the bay shown in 1914 photograph). Four lower
wings to rear, with basement, well, pump and cistern. Extension to
left, 1920's; timber framed and exposed with red brick nogging, close
studded with jetty on brackets to projecting blocks to front elevation
and to left return. Hipped and gabelled roofs with moulded stack.
Mullioned and transomed windows on each floor (oriels on 1st floor).
A high quality work. Interior: (of C16 block) - full frame visible,
inglenook fireplaces. The house was home to Joseph Conrad 1910-1919,
writing The Rescue, Victory and Arrow of Gold here. House extended by
Lord and Lady Oliver (who had rented it to Conrad) 1920's. Formerly
a detached portion of Warehorne and a manor within that parish, within
a moated site.


Listing NGR: TQ9979735546

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.