History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court Lodge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Orlestone, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0762 / 51°4'34"N

Longitude: 0.8535 / 0°51'12"E

OS Eastings: 599984

OS Northings: 134642

OS Grid: TQ999346

Mapcode National: GBR RXN.DM0

Mapcode Global: FRA D6P8.LBP

Entry Name: Court Lodge

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1184992

English Heritage Legacy ID: 181674

Location: Orlestone, Ashford, Kent, TN26

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Orlestone

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Orlestone

Listing Text

TQ 93 SE ORLESTONE CHURCH LANE
(west side)
5/89 Court Lodge
13.10.52
GV II*
House. C15 or earlier, extended C16 and altered 1847. Timber framed
and part exposed close-studding with plaster infill, part rendered.
Plain tiled roofs. L-shaped plan, the entrance front of 2 storeys
on ragstone plinth repaired with brick to continuous jetty on brackets
returned on massive, moulded dragon beams. Hipped roof with gablets
(untiled to right) with gable end of rear wing oversailing to centre
left. Massive C16 diapered brick offset stack projecting to centre
left, with 2 lozenge set, truncated chimneys. Blocked original mullioned
windows to left on lst floor with casements fitted between studs to right,
with leaded casements on ground floor. Central C20 half-glazed door
with flat hood. Single storey outshot projecting to end right. Left
return wing (rendered) of 2 storeys on plinth with plat band and roof
with stack to end left. Two metal casements, leaded, on 1st floor and
5 light leaded casement on ground floor with ragstone over inscribed:
EK
1847
Door of 6 panels to left with flat hood on brackets. Interior: jettied
range with crown post roof. Former exterior close studded wall now to
interior of return range, with section of brattished bresummer. C16
wing with fine double wave moulded cross-beamed ceiling, with deeply
cut fern-leaf chamfer stops. Extremely large inglenook fireplace with
massive moulded chimney bressummer, and fireplace added by Edward
Kingsnorth with large iron cauldron hooks and ratchet. Local History
asserts the house's origins with Sir William Orlestone, 1320's.


Listing NGR: TR0002134223

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.