This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9031 / 54°54'11"N
Longitude: -1.5168 / 1°31'0"W
OS Eastings: 431080
OS Northings: 556592
OS Grid: NZ310565
Mapcode National: GBR KCVR.D5
Mapcode Global: WHC45.N1X1
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 19 December 1949
Last Amended: 15 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185061
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303229
Location: Sunderland, NE38
Electoral Ward/Division: Washington Central
Built-Up Area: Washington
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Washington
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 35NW WASHINGTON THE AVENUE (east side)
19.12.49 Church of Holy Trinity
(formerly listed as Washington
Parish church 1832 by John and Benjamin Green of Newcastle; 1882-3 alterations
including transepts by Austin and Johnson of Newcastle; 1902 chancel and vestry
by Hicks and Charlewood of Newcastle; 1962 bell-tower. 4-bay nave has small
crenellated west tower with spirelet; west porch; north and south transepts.
Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; Westmorland slate
roof with porch roof of Welsh slate. Early English style. Interior has choir
gallery at west end. A prominent site on a high mound on which stood a medieval
church demolished in early C.19.
Listing NGR: NZ3108056592
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings