This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2065 / 51°12'23"N
Longitude: 0.8782 / 0°52'41"E
OS Eastings: 601144
OS Northings: 149196
OS Grid: TR011491
Mapcode National: GBR SXG.6TR
Mapcode Global: VHKK8.5XLY
Entry Name: Church of St Cosmas and St Damian
Listing Date: 27 November 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185088
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181399
Location: Challock, Ashford, Kent, TN25
Civil Parish: Challock
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 04 NW CHALLOCK CHURCH LANE
5/2 Church of St. Cosmas
and St. Damian
Parish church. Nave C13, north aisle and north-east chapel C14,
C15 tower and south aisle windows; chancel restored 1871-3; general
restoration 1895; nave arcade and south porch reconstructed 1950 -
58. Flint, knapped in chancel, rubble with ashlar quoins and
dressings and plain tile roof. West tower, nave, aisles, south
porch, chancel and north-east chapel. Tower in 3 stages, offset, on
plinth, with diagonal buttresses, string course, and battlements.
Square stair turret in angle with south aisle, with octagonal
battlemented top. South aisle with 3 offset buttresses, string
course and parapet. North aisle with weathered plinth and 1 single
and 1 double width buttress and angle buttress. 3 light C15
Perpendicular west window in tower under an ashlar strainer arch,
with 2 light Perp. window over. Upper storey has 2 light Perp. windows
on 3 faces, with single lights to stair turret. South-west
window C14 ogee headed single light with 2 carved grotesque heads.
South aisle with, to west, 2 light C15 Perp. window with renewed
mullion in square headed opening with drip-mould and carved-head stops;
to east C19 Perp. style tracery with multilated carved ends to
moulding. South east window C15 Perp., 2 light with 4 lights over
and drip mould extended left and right. North west window C14 single
light ogee-headed. North aisle with to west C14 geometric 2 light
windows, much repaired C19, and to east 3 light C15 Perp. with
drip mould. Chapel east window C19 decorated style. Chancel south
wall with west C19 2 light Perp. style; original C13 lancet; east
a 2 light Perp. style. Chancel east window C19 Perp. style of 3 lights
with 6 lights over. West door much repaired plank and batten, with
doubled roll and hollow moulded surround; drip mould with ragstone
strainer arch with ashlar keystone over. C20 south door and porch,
and plain chamfered north doorway with traces of a lost porch.
Interior: C15 tower arch with octagonal attached shafts. Nave of
3 bays. South west and 2 north west piers are late C13, round,
barely undercut mouldings. Rest of arcade is C20 following bomb
damage 1944. North aisle and north east chapel of one build in C14,
as wide and tall as nave, with large plinth and string course in
chapel. No chancel arch, long low chancel now basically of 1871 - 3,
step up from nave, C20 arch through to north-east chapel.
Fittings: holy water stoop by south door; wall bracket on south aisle
east wall; ogee-headed piscina in chancel; plain chamfered piscina
and stepped stone bench for sedillia in chapel. Octagonal, C19 font.
Screens: 3 bay C15 Perp. screen to tower, with traceried lights and
carved panels. Screen from north aisle to chapel is C15 Perp. cut
down to fit, now of 3½ bays of 4 traceried lights with central double
door. The large cross beam over has traces of fittings for rood
loft and next to the screen in the north wall is spiral rood-stair
with hollow chamfered doorways with 4 centred arches, and hinge
brackets. Chancel screen, and return screen from chancel to chapel
is C19, from Eastwell church, inserted 1895, of 7 bays to nave, and
7 bays to chapel. In the chapel C15 moulded candle beam with moulded
spandrels. Fragmentary C15 glass in north aisle windows, and
angels and shields with other fragments in south aisle east window.
Brass in south aisle, 2 figures 1 foot high to Thomas Thorston,
died 1504, and "Johan his wyff." Group of floor slabs in chancel,
one with brass plaque, 1614 to "Searlis Hawker and Joane his wife."
Listing NGR: TR0114449196
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings