History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Primary School

A Grade II Listed Building in Highworth, Swindon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6283 / 51°37'41"N

Longitude: -1.7114 / 1°42'41"W

OS Eastings: 420071

OS Northings: 192203

OS Grid: SU200922

Mapcode National: GBR 4TL.S5N

Mapcode Global: VHC0Q.9B3L

Entry Name: Former Primary School

Listing Date: 7 July 1976

Last Amended: 20 September 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1185129

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318474

Location: Highworth, Swindon, SN6

County: Swindon

Civil Parish: Highworth

Built-Up Area: Highworth

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Highworth with Sevenhampton and Inglesham

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Highworth

Listing Text


1.
5410 HIGHWORTH SWINDON STREET
(east side)
Former Primary School
(formerly listed as
Old Infants School
under Swindon Road)
SU 2092 SW 18/344 7.7.76

II GV

2.
Datestone "Erected A.D.1835". Small Gothic school with house in visually
very important position. Stone with slate roof. Various additions.
Front: 2 storeys coursed rubble with 2 large ashlar chimneys. One-three-one
bays (the outer ones added probably circa 1840) with chamfered corners. Central
gable with cope for bellcote, panel under. Two flanking small pane glazing
bar sashes. Projecting stone porch with chamfered piers and 6 panel door
flanked by modern glazed sun parlours. Side wings each have a 2 light glazing
bar casement on first floor with quoins, right hand wing a triangular headed
ledged door. Return: one bay with triangular headed ground floor windows.
Extended 1850s to south with 3 school rooms - 3 bays with simplified 'Y' tracery
windows leading up to 2 taller gables of cross buildings of school rooms,
initials 'AC' and 'RE' in apexes. Interior of later school rooms have arch-braced
collar trusses.


Listing NGR: SU2007192203

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.