This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0173 / 55°1'2"N
Longitude: -1.4285 / 1°25'42"W
OS Eastings: 436642
OS Northings: 569343
OS Grid: NZ366693
Mapcode National: GBR LBGF.J7
Mapcode Global: WHD4S.1510
Entry Name: Tynemouth Station Main and Subsidiary Buildings with Canopies and Footbridge
Listing Date: 2 November 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185168
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303370
Location: North Tyneside, NE30
County: North Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Tynemouth
Built-Up Area: Tynemouth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Tynemouth Priory Holy Saviour
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
1022/9/122 STATION TERRACE
TYNEMOUTH STATION MAIN AND SUBSIDIARY
BUILDINGS WITH CANOPIES AND FOOTBRIDGE
Railway station. Circa 1882 by William Bell of the North Eastern Railway Company. Red brick with stone dressings; slate roofs with iron cresting to principal ridges. Gothic style.
Passenger buildings fronting Station Terrace form a symmetrical composition. 1 storey. 21 bays in all. Centre block has central entry with depressed arch and 4 pairs of round-headed windows with centre stone mullion with foliated caps and dripmould terminals. Impost and cill bands. Brackets to eaves. Side wings have 3 single windows of similar type up to, and 2 after, a gabled section with
stone coping and kneelers. A circular window above 2 single windows flanking a
doorway with panelled door. Tall polygonal chimney stacks.
Inside the passenger concourse a ceramic tile map of the region. The buildings to Birtley Road are much plainer, with a 2-storey tower that formerly housed the engine house and accumulator.
The principal feature of the station is the interior ironwork of platform canopies and footbridge, in an exuberant style appropriate to a seaside resort. The arched canopies extend for about 200 yards, with ornamental spandrels and apex, supported on non-classical columns with foliated capitals.
The station is mentioned in Gordon Biddle's Victorian Stations and in David Lloyd and Donald Insall's Railway Station Architecture.
A particularly fine, large-scale 'excursion' railway station, designed by the eminent architect William Bell.
Listing NGR: NZ3664269343
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings