History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Almshouses and Handrails and Garden Walls Attached

A Grade II Listed Building in Harrietsham, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2401 / 51°14'24"N

Longitude: 0.68 / 0°40'48"E

OS Eastings: 587169

OS Northings: 152407

OS Grid: TQ871524

Mapcode National: GBR QT4.4QZ

Mapcode Global: VHJMP.Q3V4

Entry Name: Almshouses and Handrails and Garden Walls Attached

Listing Date: 20 October 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1185186

English Heritage Legacy ID: 173756

Location: Harrietsham, Maidstone, Kent, ME17

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

Civil Parish: Harrietsham

Built-Up Area: Harrietsham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Harrietsham

Listing Text

HARRIETSHAM EAST STREET
TQ 85 SE (north east side)

4/23 Almshouses (Nos. 1 and 2)
and Handrails and garden
20.10.52. walls attached

GV II

Almshouse row. 1770. Red brick in Flemish bond with plain tile
roof. Double depth, each range separately roofed. One storey
and cellars on plinth, with plat band above-ground floor window,
rendered coping to parapet, and coped gable ends. 2 central
cottages and 2 at either end break forward slightly. Coped
triangular pediment over central break. 12 red brick stacks
to rear of ridge. Regular fenestration of 12 recessed glazing-
bar sashes with segmental heads. Segmental -headed cellar
voussoirs just visible. 12 panelled doors, one to right of each
window except in central break, where 2 doors to centre flanked
by windows; each with flat bracketted hood, up 3 steps, with plain
iron handrail to left side. 4 Rainwater heads dated 1770. 2
Insurance plaques in pediment. Board in pediment inscribed: "These
Almshouses were founded and endowed Anno 1642 by Mark Quested Esq.,
a Native of this Place and a Member of the Worshipful Company
of Fishmongers of London...". Rebuilt 1770 at the expense of the
said Company. Interiors not inspected. Short lengths of garden
wall in Flemish bond attached to front and rear.


Listing NGR: TQ8714252418

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.