This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5775 / 52°34'39"N
Longitude: -1.5435 / 1°32'36"W
OS Eastings: 431033
OS Northings: 297844
OS Grid: SP310978
Mapcode National: GBR 6K1.DLN
Mapcode Global: WHCHD.8G8V
Entry Name: Independent Chapel and Attached Sunday School
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185199
English Heritage Legacy ID: 309166
Location: Atherstone, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, CV9
District: North Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Atherstone
Built-Up Area: Atherstone
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Atherstone St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
ATHERSTONE NORTH STREET
SP3197 (North-east side)
10/75 Independent Chapel and
25/03/68 attached Sunday School
Shown on O.S. map as congregational Chapel.
Nonconformist chapel. Dated 1827. Sunday School is dated 1837. Now disused.
Flemish bond brick with moulded rendered cornice and parapet to front, and brick
dog-tooth cornice to return sides. Hipped slate roof. 2 storeys; 1-1-1 bays.
Slightly projecting centre has higher parapet with remains of inscription
INDEPENDENT CHAPEL 1827' in relief in a moulded panel. Double-leaf doors and
fanlight set in a rendered archway with banded rustication, Ionic half-columns
and rusticated arch within an outer arch. Round-arched iron windows with glazing
bars and gauged brick arches throughout; ground-floor windows are boarded up.
Return sides of 3 widely spaced bays. Interior has gallery to 3 sides with
moulded panelled fronts on cast iron columns. Sunday school is attached at right
angles across rear. Slate roof has pedimented gables with large brick dentil
cornice. Pediment has inscription in relief 'SUNDAY SCHOOL ERECTED 1837'. 2
storeys; 2 bays. Segmental-arched cast iron windows with glazing bars.
Listing NGR: SP3103397843
Other nearby listed buildings