This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9187 / 54°55'7"N
Longitude: -1.7334 / 1°44'0"W
OS Eastings: 417187
OS Northings: 558250
OS Grid: NZ171582
Mapcode National: GBR JCBK.JL
Mapcode Global: WHC3W.BMTN
Entry Name: The Chapel About 350 Metres West and 650 Metres South of Gibside Hall
Listing Date: 1 February 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185345
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303878
Location: Gateshead, NE16
Electoral Ward/Division: Whickham South and Sunniside
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Whickham
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 15 NE WHICKHAM B6314 (north side)
10/113 The Chapel; about 350
metres west and 6501.2.50
metres south of Gibside
Chapel and mausoleum. 1760-69; completed 1812. Designed by James Paine
for George Bowes, M.P. and coal owner. Ashlar; lead-covered dome.
Greek cross plan. Palladian style, Ionic order. One tall storey on basement,
3 x 3 bays. Plinth and floor band.2 side stairways and front balustrade
to prostyle tetrastyle pedimented portico with central doorway. Attached
corner columns; continous entablature; modillions to main features. Keyed
archivolts and coved reveals to side sash windows with glazing bars. Tall
parapet,with balustraded outer sections,has 6 urn finials. Central drum,
with carved garlands, supports shallow dome. On other elevations the central
projections hold recessed Diocletian windows, curved on plan to follow
shape of room within. Interior: cruciform on 4 attached columns with
apses on 3 sides. Corinthian order. Ionic order to lower cross-vaulted bays;
Ionic doorway. Panelled dome with delicate leafy plasterwork (late C18 or
early C19). Cherrywood box pews and dado; and 3-decker mahogany pulpit,
with inlaid sounding board on Ionic column, behind central altar. Sources:
C. Hussey 'Gibside, County Durham'; Country Life Feb. 8 and 15, 1952;
354-7 and 422-425.
Listing NGR: NZ1718458247
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings