History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Evegate Millhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Smeeth, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1052 / 51°6'18"N

Longitude: 0.9466 / 0°56'47"E

OS Eastings: 606377

OS Northings: 138114

OS Grid: TR063381

Mapcode National: GBR SYQ.L4Q

Mapcode Global: VHKKW.CH94

Entry Name: Evegate Millhouse

Listing Date: 10 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1185369

English Heritage Legacy ID: 181727

Location: Smeeth, Ashford, Kent, TN25

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Smeeth

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Mersham

Listing Text

TR 03 NE SMEETH STATION ROAD
(east side)
4/141 Evegate Millhouse
GV II
Mill House. Early C18 exterior. Painted brick on galletted ragstone
extended with painted brick, with plain tiled roof. Lobby entry plan,
possibly framed hall house origin, with parallel rear wing. Two
storeys on plinth with plat band (returned to right) with hipped roof
with gablet to right and stacks to centre and to fleft (end left of
original structure). Three wooden casements on 1st floor and 2 on
ground floor with central panelled door with semi-circular fanlight
in gabled porch. The end left bay is a later (C18) addition, with
wooden casement and boarded door in hipped hoist housing on 1st floor,
and wooden casement and half-door on ground floor. Hipped 2 storey
rear wing of painted brick, with small hipped outshot almost over the
river (a privy block?). The end left bay of the main range has an
arched opening to rear (now blocked), through which the water ran,
this being the wheel-house before construction of the new mill in
1862, and diversion of the river.


Listing NGR: TR0637738114

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.