History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block and Attached Forecourt Walls, Gatepiers and Gates at Merevale Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Merevale, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5726 / 52°34'21"N

Longitude: -1.5657 / 1°33'56"W

OS Eastings: 429533

OS Northings: 297289

OS Grid: SP295972

Mapcode National: GBR 5HP.M0N

Mapcode Global: WHCHC.XLMM

Entry Name: Stable Block and Attached Forecourt Walls, Gatepiers and Gates at Merevale Hall

Listing Date: 1 November 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1185536

English Heritage Legacy ID: 309229

Location: Merevale, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, CV9

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Merevale

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Merevale with Bentley

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Atherstone

Listing Text

MEREVALE MEREVALE PARK
SP29NE
1/136 Stable block and attached
01/11/59 forecourt walls, gatepiers and
gates at Merevale Hall
GV II*
Stable block and attached forecourt walls, gatepiers and gates. Designed
originally by Edward Blore between 1835 and 1842, but probably largely by Henry
Clutton after 1842. Regular coursed sandstone. Slate roofs have moulded cornices
and embattled parapets and gable parapets; stone internal and ridge stacks.
U-plan, adjoining Merevale Hall (q.v.), but the buildings together with walls
form a courtyard. 2 storeys; entrance front of 3-1-1-1-3 bays. High splay
plinth, buttresses and angle buttresses. Projecting central bay has large angle
piers and chamfered segmental arch on paired large shield corbels. Coped gable
parapet has embattled kneelers with ball finials. Within the outer arch is a
large chamfered and moulded arch, with shaped shield panel and 2 small lights
above. Segmental arched studded and panelled gates. Plastered 4-centred vault
has moulded stone ribs. Flanking bays have small 2-light chamfered mullioned
windows, with transoms to ground floor. Embattled internal stacks in angles.
Outer 3 bays are set back, and have blind slit windows. On the left return side
the site falls away steeply. The rear wing has a 2-tier 13-bay arcade, mostly
blind, of segmental-pointed arches to the building and the retaining wall below.
Right return side has 2 ground-floor cross-windows and a window above. Rear wing
of 9 bays with buttresses and blind slit windows to the forecourt. To the
courtyard above the archway is a trefoiled arched panel with coat of arms and
small adjoining lights. Small square embattled clock tower to left, of 3 stages
with moulded string courses. Ground floor has slit window; second stage has
2-light window with hood mould continued as string course to left; top stage has
clock face in square panel with hood mould surround and head stops. To left is a
slightly projecting doorway with chamfered jambs, corbelling and segmental
pointed arch. Windows to left and above. Buttress to right of arch. Chamfered
segmental pointed arched doorway with plank door. Single light to right, and
2-light casement above. Windows throughout have chamfered surrounds and many
glazing bars. Left wing is coach houses. Right wing has varied openings, some
altered. Interiors not inspected. Attached forecourt walls of varying heights
have stone coping. Chamfered gatepiers with ball finials. Large cast iron gates
have armorial cartouches. Large gatepier to right has chamfered angle piers,
halved Ionic capitals, and lantern. Low wall at right angles to rear extends to
gateway with moulded Tudor arch in straight head with sunk spandrels, iron gate
and coped top. Forecourt wail runs from this gateway back to the porch of the
house.
(Merevale gardens are included in HBMCE Register of Parks and Gardens at grade
II; Mark Girouard: 'Merevale Hall' Country Life; 13th and 20th March 1969,
pp598-60, and 662-665; Mark Girouard: The Victorian Country House; pp65-67)


Listing NGR: SP2953397289

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.