History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Raw End Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Luddendenfoot, Calderdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7177 / 53°43'3"N

Longitude: -1.9504 / 1°57'1"W

OS Eastings: 403372

OS Northings: 424593

OS Grid: SE033245

Mapcode National: GBR GTTG.K0

Mapcode Global: WHB8G.0TJ8

Entry Name: Raw End Farmhouse

Listing Date: 15 November 1966

Last Amended: 19 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1185606

English Heritage Legacy ID: 339356

Location: Calderdale, HX2

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Luddendenfoot

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Luddenden with Luddendenfoot

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Sowerby Bridge

Listing Text

SOWERBY BRIDGE SOWERBY LANE
SE 0224 & SE 0324
(east side),
8/228 Luddenden Foot
15.11.66 Raw End Farmhouse
(formerly listed
as Row End,
Luddenden Foot)
GV II
House. Dated "I 1627 H". Large blocks of coursed, dressed stone; stone
slate roof. Through-passage plan. 2 storeys, 4 bays, with partial rear
outshut. South (garden) front: plinth. Double-chamfered mullion windows,
on ground floor (from left to right) of 5 lights, 6 lights, 2 lights, Tudor-
arched, chamfered, quoined doorway with datestone over, 2 lights, 3 lights,
2 lights, all under continuous dripmould rising over datestone. On 1st
floor, windows of 5 lights, 5 lights, single arched light with sunk spandrels
and archivolt dated 1839, 6 lights with king mullion. Coping with bases
of finials. Shouldered and corniced end and ridge stacks, that to left
end rebuilt. Rear: blocked doorway on left, now with window. Chamfered,
quoined, Tudor-arched doorway to through-passage with small chamfered light
above. 4-light chamfered window with 6-, now 3-light window above. Outshut
on right extended to left c1985 with Tudor-arched doorway. Left return:
arched light with sunk spandrels to 1st floor, right. Right return: 3-light
chamfered mullion window to 1st floor, right. Interior: central room
(housebody) has large-scantling stop-chamfered spine beams and joists, all
with grooved moulding; fireplace inserted in inglenook has stone surround
and deep chamfered lintel with rounded corners to soffit. Left-hand room
has chamfered spine beam, groove-moulded joists, and stone fireplace, the
lintel with central triangular chamfer. Right-hand room has replica fireplace
and beams. Barrel-vaulted cellar. Some stone stairs survive under modern
staircase. Left-hand room on lst floor has tie-beam with continuous mortice
in soffit indicating position of former partition wall. One king-post truss
visible in roof at right end, with 'V' struts to heavy-scantling, trenched,
chamfered purlins; diamond-set ridge-piece.


Listing NGR: SE0337224593

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.