This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3493 / 52°20'57"N
Longitude: -1.404 / 1°24'14"W
OS Eastings: 440691
OS Northings: 272522
OS Grid: SP406725
Mapcode National: GBR 6MX.RTV
Mapcode Global: VHBXD.M63W
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 6 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185612
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308838
Location: Stretton-on-Dunsmore, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23
Civil Parish: Stretton-on-Dunsmore
Built-Up Area: Stretton-on-Dunsmore
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stretton-on-Dunsmore All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
STRETTON ON DUNSMORE CHURCH HILL
SP47SW (South side)
5/52 Church of All Saints
Church. 1835-1837 by Thomas Rickman at the expense of Reverend William Clarke.
Limestone ashlar. Roofs hidden by crenellated nave and moulded aisle parapets.
Tall narrow chancel and aisled nave in one, west tower, east vestries. Gothic
Revival style. One-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Moulded splayed plinth. Buttresses
of 4 offsets. Nave and chancel have angle buttresses rising into short square
pinnacles with caps. 5-light east window has geometrical tracery and hood mould
with head stops, swelling out at apex to enclose a quatrefoil opening, and
surmounted with finial. Aisles have diagonal buttresses. 2-light aisle and
exceptionally tall chancel windows have curvilinear tracery. Clerestory has
round windows with alternating geometrical and curvilinear tracery. Hood moulds
throughout have foliage stops. Low vestries in angles have traceried
straight-headed 2-light east windows. North-east vestry has segmental-arched
north door and brattished parapet. South-east vestry has moulded parapet. West
front has tall central tower of 3 stages with full-height angle buttresses,
moulded parapet and remains of pinnacles. Decorated style portal has piers with
blind tracery and gablets, and large crocketed gable with finial. Doorway of 3
moulded orders. Double-leaf glazed doors have cast-iron Gothic tracery. North
side has 2 small lancets, south side has straight-headed traceried window.
String courses. Second stage has lancet with mouchettes to all sides, and clock
face with hood mould to north. Third stage has tall 2-light bell openings with
crocketed ogee hood moulds. West fronts of aisles have trefoiled lancet and
round window above with geometrical and curvilinear tracery to north and south
respectively. Lean-to roofs. Interior is plastered. 2-storey porch inside tower
has 2 tiers of chamfered arches, forming open arcade to first floor, and balcony
with cast-iron Gothic tracery balustrade. Plaster ribbed ceiling. Double-leaf
doors to church. Charities board above outer doors. The church has plaster
quadripartite rib vaulting throughout, with wall shafts and foliage corbels.
Shallow raised chancel has stone panelling with blind reticulated tracery to
sill height. The taller canted angles have crocketed gables and cinqfoiled
arches with paintings of 1920 to the left and 1918 to the right. North and south
sides have sedile with attached shafts and cusped stilted segmental arches.
Arcades have stone piers with half-shafts and hexagonal bases, and arches of 2
moulded orders. Clerestory has panels of blind Perpendicular tracery below the
windows. All windows have hood moulds. West gallery of stone runs the full width
of the church and is entirely independent of the arcades. It stands on a 7-bay
arcade of moulded stilted segmental arches with octagonal shafts. Gallery front
has blind quatrefoil frieze. Large moulded blind tower arch. Fittings: stone
reading desk and pulpit have castellated turrets, with blind tracery, blind
Perpendicular tracery panels and lecterns on carved brackets. Polygonal pulpit
has large moulded and carved round base. Octagonal stone font below gallery has
cinqfoiled ogee niches, shafts and buttresses. Aisles retain some box pews.
Stained glass: chancel south window has a C17 panel of Christ at Emmaus, with
tabernacle work of c.1840. Monuments: chancel south: Reverend William Daniel
Clarke 1817, vicar, who 'provided for reconstruction of the church'. Sarcophagus
with religious still-life. Signed J. Bacon and S. Manning. South aisle east:
Samuel Taylor 1752. Marble. Open pediment on brackets, and eared panel. The
church is virtually unaltered and complete.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.243-4; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP4069172522
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings