History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade I Listed Building in Southam, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2525 / 52°15'9"N

Longitude: -1.3892 / 1°23'21"W

OS Eastings: 441792

OS Northings: 261768

OS Grid: SP417617

Mapcode National: GBR 7QF.PLJ

Mapcode Global: VHBXS.VNY2

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 30 May 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1185823

English Heritage Legacy ID: 307208

Location: Southam, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV47

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Southam

Built-Up Area: Southam

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Southam St James

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Long Itchington

Listing Text

SOUTHAM PARK LANE
SP4161 (South side)
13/78 Church of St. James
30/05/67

GV I

Church. C14, with C15, early C16 and C19 alterations and additions. Squared
coursed lias chancel, nave and tower with sandstone dressings, and sandstone
ashlar clerestory and spire. Fish-scale tile chancel and porch roofs with
flashing. Lead nave roof. Chancel with north aisle, nave with north and south
aisles and west tower. Chancel of C14 origins, rebuilt C15. Three bays with
moulded plinth, offset buttresses, chamfered eaves cornice and coped gable to
east with cross at apex. Restored east window of 4 cusped lights with
curvilinear tracery within a moulded surround. 3 part-restored C15 windows to
south, each of 3 cusped and ogee-headed lights with moulded surround. Central
window truncated with restored ogee-headed doorway below with plank door. C19
north aisle of 2 bays with 2 windows to north, each of 2 ogee-headed lights and
trefoil tracery. C19 vestry to east with one C13-style 3-light window to east
and one C13-style lancet to north. Also to north a small C20 lias and sandstone
kitchen extension. C14 nave with aisles widened C15. Early C16 clerestory. Nave
of 4 bays, the aisles with chamfered plinths and offset buttresses. South aisle
has hollow-chamfered eaves cornice with paterae. Parapetted nave roof with
moulded eaves cornice. North aisle has two C15 windows to east of porch, each of
3 ogee-headed lights within square-headed chamfered surround. C19 restored
window to west of porch of 2 cusped lights and tracery. C19 west window to north
aisle of 2 cusped lights and curvilinear tracery. C19 gabled porch with offset
buttresses and coped gable on kneelers. Plank door within moulded pointed-head
surround with hood mould and labels. Trefoiled lancets to east and west. Re-used
doorway of 2 orders, the inner a roll with small moulded capitals. Hood mould
with carved foliage labels. C19 plank door. South aisle has 3 windows to south,
that towards east C19 in C15 style, of 3 cusped lights within a segmental
pointed-head surround. Restored windows to east and west of porch, each of 2
cusped lights with C15 tracery. 3-light traceried window with segmental
pointed-head surround in each wall. C19 window in west wall of 3 cusped lights
and reticulated tracery. C19 gabled porch with moulded plinth and
hollow-chamfered eaves cornice with paterae. Double plank doors within pointed,
moulded, arch with columns with carved foliage capitals and moulded bases.
Re-used pointed-arched doorway with moulded surround. North and south windows of
two C13-style lancets. Early C16 clerestory of 8 windows, each of 2 scalloped
lights with 4 trefoiled tracery lights within hollow-moulded, 4-centred-head
surrounds with continuous hood mould. Scalloped panel tracery below windows. C14
tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth, large offset diagonal buttresses rising
to top, string course at second stage and hollow-moulded eaves cornice with
carved heads in hollow. Part-restored C14 west window to first stage of 2 cusped
lights within ogee-headed surround. C16 west door immediately below, with
moulded shoulder-arched surround. C19 plank door. C14 two-light windows with
moulded surrounds to all faces of third stage, with pointed light to second
stage south. C15 octagonal broach spire, part rebuilt at top, with pinnacles on
broaches and 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: below east window of chancel a C19
stone-panelled reredos. South windows have moulded rere-arches. C19 north aisle
arcade of 2 bays. Ogee-headed piscina. C14 rood-loft doorway. C19 open-trussed
rafter roof. C15 double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave arcade of 4 bays with
double-chamfered arches and octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals.
Hood mould with C19 carved head labels. Clerestory has panelled tracery below
windows, echoing exterior. Early C16 roof with moulded tie-beans, moulded
rafters and moulded purlins. Carved wood bosses representing Tudor roses, angels
and foliage. Traceried brackets support tie beams, and rest on carved head and
angel corbels. Double-chamfered tower arch. C19 north aisle roof with C17
chamfered-beam south aisle roof. 2 moulded, pointed-arched, tomb recesses in
south aisle wall, with C14 ogee-headed piscina with fluted basin. Fragments of
medieval wall painting remain on west wail. C17 polygonal pulpit, part-restored,
with carved tracery panels. C19/C20 screen with rood loft, replacinq earlier
screen. C18 floor slabs in chancel, and C18 and C19 floor slabs in nave. Wall
tablets in south aisle to the Wood family, late C18, and to members of the
Barnacle family, died 1741 and 1781, also one dated 1745, with carved surround.
Wall tablet in north aisle to Daniel and Martha Attrick, who died in 1765 and
1772 respectively. Two C17 chests in nave, one dated 1620. C19 polygonal pulpit
in south aisle.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.222-4; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire,
p.403).


Listing NGR: SP4179061770

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.