History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monument Approximately 50 Metres South West of the Stoneythorpe Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Southam, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.251 / 52°15'3"N

Longitude: -1.3928 / 1°23'33"W

OS Eastings: 441551

OS Northings: 261598

OS Grid: SP415615

Mapcode National: GBR 7QF.W48

Mapcode Global: VHBXS.TP27

Entry Name: Monument Approximately 50 Metres South West of the Stoneythorpe Hotel

Listing Date: 27 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1185845

English Heritage Legacy ID: 307213

Location: Southam, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV47

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Southam

Built-Up Area: Southam

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Southam St James

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Long Itchington

Listing Text

SOUTHAM WARWICK ROAD
SP4161 (North side)
13/83 Monument approx. 50m. SW of
The Stoneythorpe Hotel

GV II

Monument. Late C19. Limestone on granite plinth with moulded base and cornice
surmounted by urn. Inscribed to front: 'THIS STONE/MARKS THE SITE OF
THE/DISPENSARY COTTAGE/USED FOR THE PURPOSES OF THE FIRST SELF SUPPORTING
OR/PROVIDENT DISPENSARY/IN THE KINGDON/ESTABLISHED HERE BY/MR. H.L. SMITH,/IN
THE YEAR 1822/UPON THE FLAN AFTERWARDS/SUCCESSFULLY/ADOPTED AT/COVENTRY,
NORTHAMPTON/AND MANY OTHER PLACES'. History: the Dispensary, which this stone
commemorates, was established in a C17/C18 thatched cottage by Dr. Henry Lilley
Smith, the founder of the former Eye and Ear Infirmary, now The Stoneythorpe
Hotel (q.v.). The stone was erected in 1889 by Rev. William Smith, son of the
Dispensary founder. Included for group value.


Listing NGR: SP4155161598

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.