This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7061 / 53°42'22"N
Longitude: -1.9019 / 1°54'6"W
OS Eastings: 406575
OS Northings: 423304
OS Grid: SE065233
Mapcode National: GBR HT5L.16
Mapcode Global: WHB8N.R3KN
Entry Name: Lower Spark House Farmhouse
Listing Date: 15 November 1966
Last Amended: 19 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185880
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339366
Location: Calderdale, HX6
Electoral Ward/Division: Greetland and Stainland
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Norland
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SOWERBY BRIDGE SPARK HOUSE LANE
(north side), Norland
Nos 47, 49 and 53
15.11.66 (Lower Spark House
listed as Lower
Farmhouse, now 3 dwellings. Dated 'IT 1677', subdivided and altered C19,
and with alterations and wing added c1980. Coursed squared stone, rendered
at front; stone slate roof. 2-storey, 2-bay range with cross-wing on left
which has been extended to rear. Road front: quoins exposed on right.
Double-chamfered mullion windows. Wing has outshut on left, on ground floor
an 8-light, now 4-light, window with king mullion and decoratively stopped
hoodmould. Main range has chamfered quoined doorway with round-cornered
soffit to dated lintel; to its left is a triangular-headed window; to its
right a 4-light, now 2-light, window with decoratively-stopped hoodmould
flanked by chamfered square lights. On lst floor a 3-light window to left
and 5-light window to right. At eaves between this range and wing a gutter
spout. Roof hipped to right. Ridge stack between wing and main range and
on hip. Left return: outshut has quoins on left and a 5-light window (one
mullion removed, 3 lights blocked). To left is the c1980 extension in same
style and with stepped roof line. Right return: 2 doorways with plain stone
surrounds and an inserted window. Interior: a chamfered quoined Tudor-arched
doorway into housebody (central room) which has a large arched fireplace
(hidden), stop-chamfered spine-beams and a partition in the position of
a heck screen. The initials 'IT' may stand for a member of the Taylor family
- Norland Hall (qv) was refronted in 1672 by Joseph Taylor and Upper Hall,
Norland (qv) was built in 1690 by John Taylor of Norland Hall.
L Ambler The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire.
Listing NGR: SE0657523304
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings