This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1029 / 51°6'10"N
Longitude: 0.7148 / 0°42'53"E
OS Eastings: 590163
OS Northings: 137237
OS Grid: TQ901372
Mapcode National: GBR QVR.TSK
Mapcode Global: VHKKR.BJRW
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 16 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185888
English Heritage Legacy ID: 180230
Location: High Halden, Ashford, Kent, TN26
Civil Parish: High Halden
Built-Up Area: High Halden
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Parish Church of St Mary
TQ 9037 17/169 16.8.62.
Chancel, south chapel, north transept, nave with south aisle, wooden south
porch unusual belfry tower at the west end of timbered construction with scissor
trusses shingled outside with shingled spire above and on each side of it
on the ground floor casing in the form of a wooden room (the north one now
the vestry) so that the shape of the ground floor as a whole is an octagon.
The nave is Norman, the chancel C14, the tower circa 1300, the south porch
C14, the south chapel the north transept and the south aisle C15. C14 crown
post roof to nave and aisles. Church restored by Street 1868. C13 font.
The churchyard contains a tomb chest and some C18 headstones with cherub
or hourglass motifs, one with serpent, book, heavenly crown and hourglass
motif, an early C19 headstone with cast iron cherubs and some oval bodystones.
Listing NGR: TQ9016137236
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings