This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5851 / 54°35'6"N
Longitude: -1.4364 / 1°26'11"W
OS Eastings: 436521
OS Northings: 521247
OS Grid: NZ365212
Mapcode National: GBR LHDF.T4
Mapcode Global: WHD6W.X05T
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 20 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185897
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350376
Location: Bishopton, Darlington, TS21
Civil Parish: Bishopton
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Stockton Country Parish
Church of England Diocese: Durham
BISHOPTON HIGH STREET
NZ 3621 (East side)
13/18 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Probably C13; largely rebuilt and north aisle and tower added
1846-7 by Sharp and Paley. Coursed sandstone rubble with C19 red sandstone
dressings; dressed limestone late medieval east bay of chancel; graduated green
slate roofs. Tower on west end of north aisle; nave with north aisle; chancel
with north organ chamber (former vestry). Mid C19 lancets and Geometrical
3-stage, diagonally-buttressed tower: polygonal stair turret on south-west
corner; pointed windows and 2-light bell openings; medieval grave-slab fragment
and cusped niche built into west face; embattled parapet. Mid C19 buttresses
on nave and chancel. 3-bay nave: chamfered plinth; 3-light window in diagonally-
buttressed west end; mainly 2-light windows, medieval grave slab and large
diamond-shaped wall sundial (dated 1776 and inscribed FUGIT HORA) on south;
steep roof with coped gables. Lower and narrower 2-bay chancel with lancets:
2 dedication crosses and 3 stepped lancets on diagonally-buttressed east end;
steep roof with coped east gable. North aisle has mid C19 shouldered doorway
and pent roof. Organ chamber has low-pitched pent roof.
Plain, plastered interior. In nave: C13 font (octagonal bowl on cylindrical
stem) with C17 wood steeple cover; 1811 Hutchinson wall monument on south; mid
C19 3-bay north arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches on cylindrical piers.
Tall, chamfered mid C19 chancel arch; an original C13 trefoil-headed lancet in
wall to north of arch. 1889 Caen stone and marble reredos. Mid C19 roofs:
nave with 4 braced-collar trusses; chancel with 2 similar trusses.
Listing NGR: NZ3652121247
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings