This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5936 / 54°35'37"N
Longitude: -1.482 / 1°28'55"W
OS Eastings: 433569
OS Northings: 522173
OS Grid: NZ335221
Mapcode National: GBR LH2B.Y2
Mapcode Global: WHD6P.6SKT
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 20 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185908
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350398
Location: Great Stainton, Darlington, TS21
Civil Parish: Great Stainton
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Stockton Country Parish
Church of England Diocese: Durham
GREAT STAINTON ELSTOB LANE
NZ 32 SW (West side, off)
2/4 Church of All Saints
Parish church. 1876-8 by J.P. Pritchett. Squared, rock-faced sandstone in
narrow courses; graduated green slate roofs. West tower with spire; aisleless
nave with south porch; chancel with combined organ chamber/vestry on north.
Decorated style. Mainly 2-light windows with cinquefoil-headed lights and
cusped quatrefoils under hoodmoulds with headstops. Angle-buttressed 3-stage
tower with trefoil-headed lancets on second stage and 2-light louvred bell
openings above. Tall broach spire. Buttressed 3-bay nave and narrower 2-bay
chancel have chamfered plinths, offset sill bands and steeply-pitched roofs
with coped gables. Foundation stone (June 6th. 1876) and 3-light window in
angle-buttressed east end. Gabled porch with moulded pointed doorway; trefoil-
headed lancets on returns. 2-bay organ chamber/vestry with lancet on south,
pointed doorway on east and monopitch roof.
Plain and plastered interior with encaustic-tiled floors. Pointed moulded
chancel arch under hoodmould on detached marble demi-columns with stiff-leaf
capitals. Sundial re-set above arch. Pointed chamfered arches to organ chamber
and to baptistery (at west end beneath tower). Roofs with arch-braced trusses.
2 stone fonts in baptistery: one medieval with moulded base, cylindrical stem
and octagonal-plan cup-shaped bowl; the other late C19. C17 wall monuments
and fragments of medieval grave slabs re-set in baptistery walls. Fragment of
a probably C10 cross shaft (with complex interlacing decoration) under bench in
Listing NGR: NZ3356922173
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings