History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hurworth, Darlington

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4867 / 54°29'12"N

Longitude: -1.5269 / 1°31'36"W

OS Eastings: 430747

OS Northings: 510250

OS Grid: NZ307102

Mapcode National: GBR KJSK.7F

Mapcode Global: WHC63.JH49

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 6 June 1952

Last Amended: 27 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1185920

English Heritage Legacy ID: 350429

Location: Hurworth, Darlington, DL2

County: Darlington

Civil Parish: Hurworth

Built-Up Area: Hurworth-on-Tees

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Hurworth

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Hurworth

Listing Text

HURWORTH THE GREEN
NZ 3010 (North side, off)

17/91 No. 44
6/6/52 (The Manor House)
(previously listed
as Manor House)

GV II

House. Main block c.1720, possibly in-situ rainwater head dated 1728; 3
slightly later rear wings; late C18-early C19 extensions on rear of each wing.
Narrow brick in English garden wall bond; renewed pantiled roofs; brick
chimney stacks. One-room deep main block; 3 linked wings at right-angles
on rear of main block, each wing with a later extension on rear.

Main block 2 storeys, 6 bays. Doorway in fourth bay converted to a window
1984-5. 15-pane sashes in lengthened openings under rubbed-brick flat arches.
Lead rainwater head at right (1728 and initials HBB) and downcomer with
decorative motifs. Raised eaves. Renewed moulded gutter. Steeply-pitched
roof with stone-coped gables and shaped kneelers. Projecting stepped external
chimneys on returns have rebuilt tops. 2- and 3-storey rear wings, one or 2
bays deep; mainly altered fenestration, but 12-pane sashes on left rear wing.
Stepped eaves courses; roofs with coped rear gables. Single-storey extensions
of 3 and 4 bays: mainly altered fenestration, extension on left rear wing has
15-pane sashes; roofs with coped rear gables; extension on right rear wing
has a stepped lateral chimney breast. The 3 extensions are joined together
and form a triple-gabled rear elevation.

Interior. Dogleg staircase, of 2 flights plus landing rail, has closed string
with pulvinated frieze and a ramped square-section handrail-on turned balusters;
landing rail ramped up at ends; panelled dado. Three first-floor bedrooms in
main block with original panelling and deep ceiling cornices. 2- and 6-panel
doors. Early C19 panelled internal window shutters.


Listing NGR: NZ3074710250

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.